Driving Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Techniques

What up Guys?

I own a 1992 Volvo 240 with 26,XXX original miles on it. I love driving the thing and have alot of fun. Recently Ive been trying to learn how to drive fast and be safe about it. Ive been working on my turns at high speeds but dont really have a technique for it. I kind of hug the corner, slam the brake, and accelerate out of it. Is this what i should be doing? I want to learn how to do this stuff safe and still be able to have fun. Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Default RE: Driving Techniques

If you look up driving schools on the internet I'm sure there are amature classes you can respond with. Personally I'd like to learn to drive as a professional rally driver, not a NASCAR lacky. But like youself...I tend to push the curves, and I love it. However seeing as how my Volvo is rather larger than what one may judge to be as something tangible and/or rational, I should probably focus on chassis and suspension modification to adapt to the additions of potential stresses upon the Volvo. At least try with more direct tact, for example, A inspection and repleacment of bushings and retaining components within the assemblies would be a logical step, unless i want to find my in a ditch reflecting on how I should not have pushed it too far. You with me?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM

yeah im with yuh

Old 02-16-2007, 04:34 AM

By the way, your 240 is absolutley beautiful. My first 244 was an '84 and I honor its memory.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM

I kind of hug the corner, slam the brake, and accelerate out of it. Is this what i should be doing?
No! Slamming the brake in a turn is a recipe for disaster. The carhas enough forces working on it in a turn without adding braking force.

On the approach to the turn assess the severity of itand then adjust your speed and select the correct gear for thatspeed. If your car is auto you can still select a gear. On aright turn you should position the car towards the centre line on the approach. At the apex of the turn drive across it with sufficient power to keep the car stable(this means that your car is going in as straight a line as possible) and your position on the exit will again be towards the centre line. On a left turn position the car as far to theright as possible on the approach. At the apex of the turn your position should be towards the centre line, again with sufficient power for stability, and your position on the exit will be again towards the right.

In both turns firm acceleration should come only after the turn has been negotiated.

No brakes in the turn unless there is an emergency.

Assessing the severity of any turn needs agreat deal of practice.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM

i have a 89 240 and that thing handels like it is on rails.. i live on a very popular windy and hilly road and i can do this road on average at like 80 and its a 45 the whole way.. but i noticed that they will take any turn if you go wide before the turn the hug the inside kinda waht nascars do.. Yeah if you can do turns fast you can beat soo many cars. Ive race a 91 Talon TSI, 16g turbo evo heads, 19 pounds of boost. and i smoked it on this road. ive beaten vr6 1.8t, a4 a6's alot of high end fast cars and smoking them in my trusty 240... god i love it..

so basically you want to do this..

Before you get to the turn be really wide then start turning early soo your al the way on the inside of the turn by the apex of the turn and do the breaking before the turn not while in it. then after you pass the apex of the turn but it to the floor WFO!! Wide F***kin Open yeah they handel great\

if that helps