eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...

Wow is my blood pressure up there tonight!

Ordered a set of e-code headlight assemblies off eBay over 2 weeks ago. When they finally got here (over a week), I found they had sent 2 right corner marker lamps and no left, and the left headlight assembly lens was just floating around inside the housing, not attached to anything. Also had glue stuck all over it from someone at the factory getting it all over their fingers. Paid $370 for these things with shipping, so I expected a little better than this.

Had to send it, an the second right corner marker back. Guy couldn't figure out how to send me a return shipping label, so 3 days went by before I finally got it on the UPS truck back to them. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Here I am 2 weeks later, and I finally get the replacement delivered and installed tonight. Now none of the adjusters do anything. Headlights are both aiming at the ground 3' in front of the car. Can't even see where you're going on low beam, and barely on high. Started the return process tonight. I AM DONE with these things. Taiwanese garbage! So pissed ...

Guess I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a pair of OEM fog light headlamp assemblies. Should've just done that to begin with.

Figured I'd post this in case someone was thinking of pulling the trigger on a set. Save yourself the grief ...

Attached Thumbnails eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...-img_6079.jpg  

Last edited by Smithsonite; 07-26-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

what year/model? On the 850s you can simply order e-code lenses that clip on to the existing buckets. FCP sells them for $80 (back ordered right now). It looks like yours have the clip on lenses.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 AM

'93 940. Problem is my parts car lights I'm using now (have fogs) has a cracked glass lens (NLA separately) on the driver's left side, and the right side assembly is missing the threaded plastic piece for the adjuster, so the light assembly is flopping around. The adjusters on both sides are all rusted and seized solid. Easier to just replace the entire assembly. Certainly not cheaper, however ...

Can't win.

That pic I took was of the E-code assembly installed. I have a couple pics of them installed, and a couple pics of the old fogs with the busted right marker.

Attached Thumbnails eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...-img_6131.jpg   eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...-img_6130.jpg   eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...-img_6134.jpg   eBay E-code headlight nightmare ...-img_6135.jpg  

Last edited by Smithsonite; 07-27-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add pics for clarification
Old 07-31-2016, 04:23 PM

Whelp, I received the replacement left headlamp assembly with a left corner marker light.

First, installed the corner marker - as I pressed to connect the connector, one of the pins was pushed inward towards the bulb, short circuiting it to ground. Blew fuse, and relay started buzzing like crazy. At least now I know exactly where the flasher relay is located, lol.

Installed the headlight, grille, and backed out of the garage, and pulled in front of the other door to aim the lights. Boy, they sure look low. No problem - just turn the adjuster ... and then it stops. Only picked the beam up about 3" on the door. Went for a drive after dark. Couldn't see 3' in front of me! High beams extended that to 5'. I was so pissed, I turned around, parked the car, and called it a night. Immediately filed a return with eBay. DONE!!!!!!!!

They were a little more speedy this time in emailing a label (why couldn't the guy do this the FIRST time???), this time with USPS, so I was able to send the package out within hours of receiving the email, without even leaving my yard. As soon as they got the tracking info, they gave me a full refund, so good on them for that.

I will however warn anyone contemplating buying these e-code headlights off eBay that even though they are close to $400 with shipping, these are NOT high quality lights by any stretch of the imagination! Made in Taiwan, and very low quality. Look nice, and work as far as throwing light out, but where they will aim is anyone's guess. These were TYC brand lights.

Ad said it came with some of the best instructions around in not so many words. Came with NO DIRECTIONS. I had to chase wires and test a multimeter and battery to find out what was what. During that, I found the wiring for the fogs and driving lamps swapped. NO wiring harness came with the kit. DIY'ers would be screwed. It's a square plug with 4 large (3mm maybe) pins inside. I do this for a living, so I had some female bullet connectors I could squish down with pliers for a snug fit. More time wasted ...

The seller's name is Volvonest on eBay, and they run Swedish Car Parts out of Melrose Park or Bensenville, IL. Just FYI.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks for the warning.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM

No problem. Hopefully this will save someone the headaches I had to deal with.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good timing, cause I might have been their next sucker. Thanks.
Jon

Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Glad I could help!