Finally Fixed Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Fixed Starting Problem

For the past 1-1/2 years I've had this problem with my 740 not starting at times. I took it to the shop and they replaced the fuel pumps. Two months later, same problem. This time they replaced all the plug wires, dist cap, plugs. Three DAYS later, same problem. I had the coil checked as well as the ignition control module and they checked out okay. The only thing left was to replace the relay. That was the culprit. I found an aftermarket relay for half the price Volvo wanted...I just hope it lasts a while.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Good that you got it resolved! I'd make it a point to avoid shops that use the "shotgun" approach. When they go on a replacing expedition like that it is a sure sign of a rip-off, and they are the only ones who benefit. You are supposed to be paying for expertise that should include knowing what it is that is causing the problem, not paying exhorbinant prices for them to guess on your dime... Many car owners fall prey to this practice--they should demand a refund if the problem they paid for is not fixed, as with any other unsatisfactory service.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by tedv
Good that you got it resolved! I'd make it a point to avoid shops that use the "shotgun" approach. When they go on a replacing expedition like that it is a sure sign of a rip-off, and they are the only ones who benefit. You are supposed to be paying for expertise that should include knowing what it is that is causing the problem, not paying exhorbinant prices for them to guess on your dime... Many car owners fall prey to this practice--they should demand a refund if the problem they paid for is not fixed, as with any other unsatisfactory service.
Great advice. I would definitely demand a refund but we've moved 4 hours away

Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM

the dealerships do the same thing

Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 PM

If it goes back to the same then change the radio suppression relay. Mine did the some thing and I replaced all you did plus some. Final parts was the radio suppression relay and it was the culprit. I bought 2 from FCP and they both failed, one was broken on arrival and the other died 2 weeks later. I got some from t he junk yard and they are great and have never failed me. I keep a spare in the glove box just in case.