First post and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post and a question.

I apologize that my first post has to be a question but i am in need of some advice.

I have never owned a Volvo and I do not work on my cars (don't know how to), but I do have a very good old school mechanic who knows new stuff i.e. modern cars as well.

I would like to own a older Volvo, for some reason they intrigue and attract me. I have a chance to buy a late 70’s 200 series the owner is not sure what year is it. I have not seen the car yet. I do not want to ask my mechanic about this since I know he would be totally against the idea of buying this car.

The owner says that the engine and transmission is fine but the fuel lines need to be replaced to get it running.

1. Seller says car can be started if you pour gasoline directly in the engine, does that sound right?
2. How expensive a job is it to replace fuel lines?
3. Is there a way for me to check that the transmission is ok?
4. Are these very expensive to keep in running condition for someone who does not work on their own cars?

It is kinda far from me so before I make the drive I would like to be a little prepared when I do get there.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless you have deep pockets and a desire to vomit money, don't buy it. There are plenty of running Volvos for cheap out there. The older ones that you like have KJetronic fuel injecton which is a great system but totally alien to most younger techs. 80-86 or 87 had issues with biodegradable insulation on the wiring so avoid those years. 76-79 were great years but buy one that works. They are usually dirt cheap.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 AM

I'd avoid it, even if it's in perfect condition otherwise. You'll have no trouble finding a Volvo of a similar vintage that still runs, probably pretty close to your house. I bought a '75 for 500 bucks that still ran.

Also I don't think you can get a car to start by pouring gasoline in the intake, if the gasoline pools in the intake manifold you may get it to sputter a few times from the fumes but that's it.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sofar.
I'd avoid it, even if it's in perfect condition otherwise. You'll have no trouble finding a Volvo of a similar vintage that still runs, probably pretty close to your house. I bought a '75 for 500 bucks that still ran.

Also I don't think you can get a car to start by pouring gasoline in the intake, if the gasoline pools in the intake manifold you may get it to sputter a few times from the fumes but that's it.
A car will run by pouring fuel into the intake, Not optimal performance but it will run. It was a way we used to check a motor at junk yards before pulling it.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies. I think you guys have scared me away from at least this particular volvo, but i intend to keep looking and see if I run into a decent one.

Anyone know about the fuel line replacement cost, I was still kinda wondering?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Well, I got to be honest, I did a 10 or so minute google around the common parts manufacturers for volvo and no one seems to have fuel lines (not even IPD!!) for the year you're talking about (i.e. any model from the 70s). They may be out there, but if IPD and swedish auto parts isn't carrying it, then maybe it's hard to find. At any rate, I am willing to bet the actual installation would be a massive headache. Models that early had carburettors right? Just skip the headache and money. Lots of solid condition old 240s out there.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the reply and the search. This makes total sense. No wonder the guy does not fix the car which is apart from the fuel line issue is in absolutely wonderful shape and very very tempting.

Originally Posted by Cherry_Pirate
Well, I got to be honest, I did a 10 or so minute google around the common parts manufacturers for volvo and no one seems to have fuel lines (not even IPD!!) for the year you're talking about (i.e. any model from the 70s). They may be out there, but if IPD and swedish auto parts isn't carrying it, then maybe it's hard to find. At any rate, I am willing to bet the actual installation would be a massive headache. Models that early had carburettors right? Just skip the headache and money. Lots of solid condition old 240s out there.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM

"Fuel lines" are not only dealer item type of a thing... they are basically HOSES and so they are generic items like tires, exhaust pipes, etc. As such they are not a problem to replace or source. If that was that was wrong with the car, it is no big deal...

Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM

+1 on above (tedv)

Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Aren't fuel lines particularly formed metal tube? I didn't realize rubber hoses were sufficient to carry gasoline (petroleum product and petroleum product? that doesn't rot?). Mind you I have never had to work on the gas system.

Last edited by Cherry_Pirate; 06-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 PM

They could be but there is also high pressure rubber lines for fuel injection applications. At this vintage you have to be creative and use some creativity-many parts are no longer available from dealer channels, etc.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_Pirate
Aren't fuel lines particularly formed metal tube? I didn't realize rubber hoses were sufficient to carry gasoline (petroleum product and petroleum product? that doesn't rot?). Mind you I have never had to work on the gas system.
Rubber isn't a petroleum product, it comes from trees. I'm not sure how the gasoline doesn't eat away at it though, being as I know engine oil eats through rubber engine mounts right quick-like.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 AM

Thanks again for replies and clarifications.

I am a little confused now, I think I will go talk to my mechanic and see what he says.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM

True rubber came from a tree (mixed with sulphur) but more modern rubber is petroleum based is it not? Given the instability of the traditional rubber recipe across temperatures? (got brittle?) I am half talking out of my a*s here, so it's likely I am wrong.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cherry pirate thats correct, traditional rubber is from a tree but it does get brittle. Today's modern rubber is formed from petroleum. That being said there should be a litttle rubber between the pump and hardlines, then you should bend some metal tubing for yourself that goes up to the rain sill under the hood, and from there it should be rubber lines again. High pressure fuel injection tubing is required after the main pump. Which I would be willing to bet if the car sat for as long as I imagine probably needs new pumps too.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 AM

Man, the rubber thing was a grade 9 research project from about 10 years ago. Weird the things i remember. But at least there's some clarification. Maybe that's the issue in mine. When i fill the tank up, in the back by the hatch for the intank fuel reeks of gasoline for a while. I'll check now. At any rate, at least ashforsure knows what he's getting into.