Fuel issues on a '94 regina 940 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after looking at diagram....

Ok so clearly there is only one pump in a Ragina system. OP, you should make sure you didn't mess something up back there during your latest pump install!!!

Check your work! If you don't hear the pump going when the contacts on that relay are closed, you have a problem.

Blow the dust off the multimeter and check for voltage back at the pink wire going to the fuel pump. Even easier to check, since you say your back hurts, would be to check for voltage at the O2 sensor. You can see on the wiring diagram how the fuel pump and the O2 both get powered up from the same pink wire. If you don't have 12v at your o2 sensor, you probably don't have it going to the fuel pump either!!!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:04 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the 89 regina shown above, and 94 regina are different.

94/95 non-turbo bosch and regina 940's no longer have the dual relay as shown on that drawing, instead, the 'main' relay function is done by the RSR under the hood, and the fuel pump relay is done by a simple single relay in the relay panel.

the reason the RSR is there at all is this: on 240's, the relays were scattered all over under the dash, in particular, the fuel injection dual relay was located over near the glove box. on the 740, they centralized all the relays in a main panel, which was directly under the radio. when the injectors were powered by the 'main fuel injection' side of this relay, the injector current pulses introduced AM radio static, so early on in the 740's life cycle, they added the 'radio interference surpression relay' under the hood to power the injectors, this relay was 'slaved' to the main relay (eg, main relay on turns on RSR). in 94, they got rid of the main relay and just ran everything off the RSR (except the fuel pumps which are seperately controlled), saving a couple $$. they didn't change the 94/95 turbos,however.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
the 89 regina shown above, and 94 regina are different.
I figured that was a possibility. Me no have lots of experiance wit Regeena.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still here guys. The V70 turned out to be a craigslist "scam", and boy there's a lot of them. I got my money back and the guy messed with the wrong person, DMV investigators in my state will be very interested in talking with him. Police were involved, you name it... It ended ok, but it was the last thing I needed right now. Fraud...

I'll get to the car and start checking wiring, I have a friend I found out from back in the day, he's a savant with cars, he'll be helping me too, much better with electronics etc.

I'm pretty sure my work was solid. I've been building printed circuit boards, my own computers (until it just got cheaper, easier, smaller, to buy) since the late 70's, but ever since the brain lesions I get befuddled sometimes.

Again, I appreciate the help, and I'll give you a heads up after I can get to my house again and check this thing over.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM

Always glad to help. All I ask for in return is that ya post back with results.

Check for spark first. Then make sure the injectors each have 12v going to the positive wire. Then check for fuel pump operation. Stick a hose in the gas filler and listen down there for operation.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed

So it's running....
And it WAS the fuel pump....and a mixture of brain lesions.

After I did all the work I'd forgotten I'd been checking fuses and what not and simply had left the fuel pump relay totally out of the panel.

I put in both the new and old relays, they both started up the NEW pump, boy that sucker really does make an audible noise when you're trying to listen for it, and it fired right up after I did the 10X turn the key to prime the system, like the motor was brand new after it had been sitting for who knows how long.

I do stuff like this since the onset of my demyelination issues, or maybe it's just an excuse I use for doing stupid crap like this from time to time.

Thanks for the help, and sorry for having some of you folks chase your tails with me over this.

Simple pump issue after all, not sure if I'll return the other relays, for the money I think I'll just leave them in. At least the fuel delivery system/relays are brand spanking new from top to bottom...

My only concern was that I may have not gotten the whole in tank pump/sender unit oriented correctly in the tank. I'm pretty sure it's as straight down into the tank as it will go, but it seems as if the whole assembly was off by say 10-20 degrees to the right clockwise, the orientation marks didn't seem to make much sense in their respective positions, I'd think a simple arrow or notch marks would have been a lot simpler, but it reads fuel level in the tank, and I'll just have to drive around with a can and see if it's reading fuel levels low or high.

A fill up will probably help.

Thank you all for the help, this was frustrating but in the end at least I didn't waste money OR frustration on putting in a new pump and removing a perfectly good one. I think wrestling with that damn gasket/ring scenario would have been the biggest regret!!! Not needlessly replacing a good pump and cost for a new one!

Well, lesions or no at least I did fix it and diagnose it fairly well, if I did do some tail chasing along the way.

Now, for my 2001 V70 XC, or as I like to call it, "The Station Wagon That Drives Like A Truck" Definitely a love hate thing with that vehicle... If there's a zombie apocalypse I'll be in a truly capable off road wheeled vehicle (can't believe how many soccer moms drive these things for no more reason than looks etc.), it's got more mud on it already than some jeeps I drive past, but dang the gas mileage on it SUH-HUCKS. Driving in and around scenic Connecticut back roads and hills I'm averaging about 22mpg. Now the seats/amenities/sound system... Me likey, me likey a lot.

My Regina 940 is a base model with no sun/moon roof so I fit in it fairly well, at 6'5" with a 32" inseam and the spine of a Sasquatch these are some of the few cars that don't look like I joined the circus when I try to get in and out of them, but the V70 is actually one of the first cars that actually feels almost ROOMY for my frame. The telescoping steering wheel is darn nice. I may however opt for a plain V70 and sell the XC, the added ride height, and all wheel drive is something I'm not totally in love with, and I've had 940 non turbos with quality snow tires that even for RWD cars were some of the best cars in the snow I've ever owned... I'm not sure yet.

They're both white with black trim so there's some geek factor brick love nonsense going on there, I call my 940 "Snoopy" and my Fiancee christened the '01XC the "StormTrooper" cause it looks like it works on the Death Star.

It was only 2,500 with 170 k miles and it really was in almost like new showroom condition, clean owner history, repair list, new trans, etc. It's a grown up car for sure.

Back in love with my Swedish cars again... Now to locate a cherry 2002 Saab 9-3 hatchback so I can feel like I'm not doing my part to melt the ice caps with what's a pretty heavy carbon footprint on that dang truck like XC.

I'm also looking at a 2001 Audi A6 wagon for my Fiance, drives like a F1 car compared with the bricks old and new, with 124k miles for 1,000 bucks that needs a new pcv hose, and some oil leaks fixed as a result, but this is all for another forum now.....

Old 07-15-2015, 11:55 PM

I will spare you my own rhetoric and simply say, "Glad you got it, brother!"