fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump relay

I have 90 Volvo 240 with M47 tranny. About 8 months ago I installed a new fuel pump relay cause of no fuel which fixed it.

Well, last night my car broke down. It would spin over but wouldnt start. So I had a new fuel pump relay in the glove box that I installed it and it fired right up. Drove it around and seem to do fine afterwards.

Well today is a new day I was out running around. Well the problem came back. It would spin over but wouldnt start. I dug around in my trunk and found a used fuel pump relay so i installed it but no luck this time. So went and got a tow strap and called my wife to come and pull me home. When she arrived (about 45 min. later) I thought I would try to start it. Well it fired right up so was able to drive it home. Im thinking fuel pump is going out but know there are 2 pumps. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by beleive; 03-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:12 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

When you replaced your fuel pump relay, where did you purchase it? I have heard that some aftermarket relays are junk (not experienced it myself). When my relay goes bad, I resolder the joints on the little circuit board inside the relay.

This site will give you all of the instruction on how to test the fuel system:

In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender

Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Default figured out problem

Ive heard the same thing. I had a new one and one that I got out of junkyard. My original relay is bad the new one and the relay I had laying around are good. Anyway my in tank fuel pump is bad done some text last night.

My inline pump will work every once in a while. Im guessing the strain on the inline pump has caused it to go bad. I have read some post where the in tank pump was upgraded to a later model then the inline pump was deleted. Does anybody have any thought on that?

Thinking it over I'm wondering why you cant delete the in tank pump and run a good inline pump. I know the original one does not pull well but seen on plenty of cars running an inline pump only. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The in-tank pump relieves the main pump from doing extra work. The main pump will work on its own but it puts more of a strain on it. The combination makes the main pump last an extremely long time. My '90 240 is still running on the original main pump and runs quiet. But that is only because I paid attention to it and replaced the in-tank pump when it went bad. You can usually tell when the in-tank pump isn't working as the main pump starts to be noisy.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 89 740 I replace 3 items every 2-3 years . That is the fuel pump relay , the radio suppression relay and the crank position sensor. In the 360K miles we have on the car I have replaced the in tank and the main fuel pump once.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 PM

I have come to discover that the intank pump is not working at all the main pump is working somewhat if I tap it with a hammer. So I have completely disassembled everything and going to modify the system to have one pump in the tank. I have a pump ordered that was recommended but I have one question that I have not been able to get any advice? What about the fuel check valve with I still not to incorperate it into the system some how. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 PM

Let us know what fuel pump you are using and do we assume are going to mount it in the tank like the regina system. Also you need the check valve in the tank so the line stays full of fuel. Last you should look up the pressure required for the Bosch system and make sure you regulate to it. Please let us know how you make out.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Let us know what fuel pump you are using and do we assume are going to mount it in the tank like the regina system. Also you need the check valve in the tank so the line stays full of fuel. Last you should look up the pressure required for the Bosch system and make sure you regulate to it. Please let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the info. The pump hasnt arrived yet. When i have specs in my hand i will let you know. Changing wire size as well. But my hardest deal is get the fuel filter barb fittting onto the nylon fuel line. My original setup was so corroded i had to cut filter off. Anyway will let you know how it all goes.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by beleive
Thanks for the info. The pump hasnt arrived yet. When i have specs in my hand i will let you know. Changing wire size as well. But my hardest deal is get the fuel filter barb fittting onto the nylon fuel line. My original setup was so corroded i had to cut filter off. Anyway will let you know how it all goes.
Assuming you are replacing the fuel pump in the tank . That being the case you would need to get 2 new barb fittings for the OEM Volvo filter and use rubber FI hose to make the connections.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if one of my pumps go out I am going to do the in tank upgrade for only one pump in order to simplify the system. the problem by doing that with the main pump instead is that these pumps can't pull a vacuum, they can only push. If the pump is inline and not in the tank, it will never pull the fuel up the line. and if you are able to prime the fuel line, well next time you stop for a long period of time you will have to do that again.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nichals
if one of my pumps go out I am going to do the in tank upgrade for only one pump in order to simplify the system. the problem by doing that with the main pump instead is that these pumps can't pull a vacuum, they can only push. If the pump is inline and not in the tank, it will never pull the fuel up the line. and if you are able to prime the fuel line, well next time you stop for a long period of time you will have to do that again.
The regina system used by Volvo is a single in tank pump. If you convert to a single pump you would need to use this system and delete your main under body pump used in the Bosch system. I assume you would have to do some electrical modification because of the way the pump cycles. I don't know how the circuit runs but you should check it out as just removing the main pump may not be the simple thing to do.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The regina system used by Volvo is a single in tank pump. If you convert to a single pump you would need to use this system and delete your main under body pump used in the Bosch system. I assume you would have to do some electrical modification because of the way the pump cycles. I don't know how the circuit runs but you should check it out as just removing the main pump may not be the simple thing to do.
Check this out volvo 240 Mods and Fixes It has a great write-up on the modification

Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I've heard you can use the bosch fuel pump from an 850, which uses an intank-only system, with some minor modifications of the tank pump holder assembly, then remove and bypass the main pump entirely. the 850 turbo pump should deliver plenty of fuel for a 740/940 turbo as they get similar MPG's and operate at similar fuel pressures.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
I've heard you can use the bosch fuel pump from an 850, which uses an intank-only system, with some minor modifications of the tank pump holder assembly, then remove and bypass the main pump entirely. the 850 turbo pump should deliver plenty of fuel for a 740/940 turbo as they get similar MPG's and operate at similar fuel pressures.
I helped a friend with this which is why I'm so partial to it myself. Any of the turbo cars should work and there are plenty of aftermarket ones as well that have the same specifications. The best results were from a 740/940 turbo but if the 850 turbo fits with the same modification use that!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 PM

couple of questions as I am waiting on fuel pump. Yes, I ordered one that alot of volvo turbo guys use.

Anyway, first question? Im going to use the wire that ran to the main pump they look alot bigger so I am in the process rerouting them which leads me to think I could change the orginal fuel pump relay (that is always giving us problems) to a different relay that just for a single pump instead of running the dual stock relay.

Second question? If so can somebody tell me what relay to purchase and how to wire it up. Its a 90 Volvo 240 DL 5 speed with M47. Thanks

Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nichals
I helped a friend with this which is why I'm so partial to it myself. Any of the turbo cars should work and there are plenty of aftermarket ones as well that have the same specifications. The best results were from a 740/940 turbo but if the 850 turbo fits with the same modification use that!
um, a 740/940 turbo uses the two pump configuration, low pressure delivery pump in the tank, and the main high pressure fuel pump under the back seat.

850s, like most modern cars, have a single in tank pump only.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Ok I have the Volvo back on the road. I used the AEM 50-1000, I know thats probably an overkill, but I talk to another 240 guy and thats what he was using. Anyway I deleted the main pump and used original style filter put it back in the stock location. I had to use an adapter went from 5/16 fuel line to 7/16 fuel line on the supply gas line before the filter.

The pump went into the tank, I had to cut the about 1 1/4 off the supply line where the pump mounts. Other than that it was pretty simple, hardest part was getting fittings on the 5/16 nylon line. I extended the wires from the main pump and rerouted to the AEM in tank.

I thought I was going to need an adjustable regulator but the car fired right up and has been running fine. Diffently running alot smoother. Thanks for help