fuel system 84 volvo 244

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile fuel system 84 volvo 244

Hi I have a strange problem with my 84 Volvo 244 2.3 GLE. I was driving the other day and my car just stalled out. I parked it and tried to start it again and it would turn over but wouldn't start. I was parked by the side of a very busy street and couldn't tell weather the pump was turning on. I figured out that it wasn't getting fuel. So I bought a filter and was going to see if that would fix the problem. The pump and the filter are both attatched to a plate next to the fuel tank. So I unattatch the plate from the underside of the car. I was going to release the pressure in the system so I figured I out to at least try to start it and low and behold the son of a bee sting started right up but since I removed the fuse for the fuel pump it surged and then died. I relplaced the fuse and the dang car ran fine. I got under the car and lifted the pump and filter back into place and the car died. So I thought maybe it was the wires I wriggled them to see if that would make the car stall but it didnt. I felt the gas hose that connected to the pump and I could feel and hear a rough clicking sound when the car was running with the fuel pump hanging down as I lift up the pump and filter the clicking stops and the car dies. Any one that has any ideas i would love to hear them
Thank You

Old 04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Default more info

So I figured out when the metal frame that holds the pump and filter touches the car I can hear an electric sound and that is what shuts off the car. It has something to do with the electrical connection. I checked the relay it is fine. But from there I dont know what to do.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 AM

thats a strange one. its a fairly common problem to have the pump stop running because of a bad ground connection, but i've never heard of it stopping for grounding its body. all i can think of that would cause this is an electrical failure inside the pump where the hot wire is shorted to the body of the pump. i new pump would be advised, though it may be possible to insulate the pump against the car body to keep it going for now.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

If I remember correctly, the pump does not get its ground through the chassis. It is mounted on rubber posts to keep pump vibration from resonating on the chassis and making lots of noise. Instead, it has two wires running to it - one being ground. My guess is that one of the wires has a break in it that flexing it causes it to make/break a connection. Or it could be loose or corroded connections on the pump. If you have a voltmeter, disconnect the wires from the pump and test the hot lead by jumpering the fuse as describe here:

In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender

Move the wire around and see if you lose the voltage on it. You can do the same with the ground wire using the ohmmeter to the chassis ground.

Good luck

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you for your great feedback, I'm going to give it a go today, and I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks peeps.