Fuel System issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System issues

I have a 1990 volvo 740T wagon. It's at the stage where things break every few months. Over the past 2 years it's had an intermittent problem where it won't start or it will die will driving and nothing normal will get it started until it's good and ready. From reading these forums and doing some testing, I narrowed it down to the fuel system. The fuel gauge stopped working a long time ago so but I know that it was less than half a tank when it stopped last time. After ruling out ignition I tried starter fuel and it ran for a second so I concluded fuel was the problem. I added a couple of gallons and it started but started surging after it warmed up. I also heard the main pump whining. I replaced that. Unfortunately the problem is still there. As you might imaging I am avoiding the in tank pump. The car will run if I don't let it die at idle. The surging and inability to run at idle happen once it warms up. It's fine for fuel under load and so long as it's not at idle. No vacuum leaks detected. I would appreciate suggestions. I believe it's either the in tank pump, a heat sensitive decaying hose in the fuel system, or the pressure regulator. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know why you're avoiding the in-tank pump; it's not that big a deal to change and it gets easier after you've done it a couple of times. Since you have a wagon, you can get to it from inside the car and you don't have to drop the tank if that's what you were worried about. If it was me with the problem - and believe me, it has been - I'd be grabbing the whole shebang out of a wreck at the junkyard and fixing the fuel gauge problem too, most likely. Fuel gauge sender and the fuel pump are removed as a unit. A new booster pump is around 80 bucks, but at least you can get one at the parts store. I've gotten several out of wrecks that worked fine. Fuel gauge sending unit is probably "dealer-only", and price prohibitive, so definitely a wreck yard item.

I've discovered, the hard way, that if you run out of gas - even once - you will be needing an in-tank pump within three days, even if the car starts back up after putting gas in it. Since your fuel gauge is inop, is it possible that you might have done this?

Check engine light on? Seems like a car running as badly as you describe might have set a code..

Last edited by Joseph/TX; 10-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No check engine light. Im pretty sure tank needs to be pulled to change the pump. Ran out if gas after someone stole our gas a couple years ago. I guess im avoiding the inevitable.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Annee.g
No check engine light. Im pretty sure tank needs to be pulled to change the pump. Ran out if gas after someone stole our gas a couple years ago. I guess im avoiding the inevitable.
The great thing about these earlier Volvo's is you do NOT have to pull the tank to pull the pump/gage assembly. It is not to bad a job to do. Remove the cover plate inside the car and remove the plastic nut or the bolts and remove the hoses and connector and pull out the unit. Simple. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Annee.g
Yes, you are. But, sooner or later, you're gonna get tired of driving a crappy running car that may shell out on you at any time and you'll do something about it. Don't wait too long, though - if the booster pump is out, it puts an extra strain on the main pump under the car and hastens its demise. When that one goes out, you're a pedestrian.

Let us know if you decide to try it - it really is a do-able driveway project..