Going to look at a 1990 240 DL today

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at a 1990 240 DL today

Hi folks,

I'm going to look at a 1990 240 DL today (weds) and, since this is my first Volvo, I'd like to know your thoughts. The car is being sold by a private individual on Craigslist. The advert says:

1990 Volvo 240 DL. Non turbo model in good shape. Good tires, Body in very good shape. No corrosion. No leaks. Good A/C. Rides tight and straight, feels comfortable cruising. 82,021K miles only --CLEAN TITLE
This is a very good student car or around town or more that is economical on the highway with its 4 cylinder engine. Simple good car known for its longevity. This one is the easiest to maintain and will last a long while. JUST smog. Everything nicely maintained. Uphostery is clean like new. and all work. Clean in and out. A nice all around car that is safe. Come see it. Much better than average Volvo 240dl.

Ready to drive and enjoy. please call xxxxxx at (xxx) xxx-xxxx...............................price is $2950........................................... GREAT RUNNING CONDITION!! 35mpg 4cyl. Runs great.

clean title
blue on the out
Talked with the seller today on the phone. He says:

* He owns a shop himself (though not a Volvo-specific shop)
* He bought it from an 80-something year old woman who had been taking it to him for regular maintenance, though he did mention that she had taken it to other shops prior to his
* He says she was the original owner and, by all accounts, it got little use owing to the woman's age
* He estimates mostly local (i.e. not highway) mileage but that, again owing to her age, probably not a lot in the way of intense acceleration or breaking
* It's an automatic
* No major part replacements
* Service history is limited to his establishment, but he's got that paperwork
* He smog-checked it this morning (CA related)

Thoughts on this? Things I should look/listen for when I check it out?

I understand there are risks involved here, but $3,000 might end up being a pretty sweet deal for a 1990 with only 86K in "grandma car" condition.

I plan on taking it to a third party shop when I give it a drive tomorrow. Unfortunately, the closest Volvo-specific shop is 30 minutes away, and he wasn't too excited about going that far. So I'll have to pick a local place; based, I guess, on a combination of Yelp/Google/BBB reviews.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it feels good,then buy it.They are lovely cars,durable and easy to work with and long lasting.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It occurs to me after having looked at another comparable thread that your guys must get this question from newbies all the time. Sorry to drop in out of nowhere with a decidedly common question.

I found a link to this thread after poking around some more, which really helped.

Again thanks everyone,
Brandon