Grandma's 745 GLA - part III... details of the detail job

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grandma's 745 GLA - part III... details of the detail job

As a total car guy/gear head for 40 years, I totaly enjoyd going through my mother-in-law's car in what is the first stage of its rebirth. This is the 1992 car that had 3/4 of a tank of gas and started right up, with a jump, after sitting (update) for 4 years. Tires didn't need air, brakes wern't locked, rotors don't thump, shifts solid, all fluids good. No dents, no rust, no missing trim....., and this car was outside in northern NY. (My theory is that the spot where it sat faces south-west, is next to a dark two story wall and totally bakes in the sun. It's hot and dry there all summer and sunny and dry in the winter)
I started in the engine compartment where I wanted to vac out the battery box of some mouse poop before dropping in the new battery. Everything else was clean; no more poop, no nuts, no nothing. Inside was a couple maps, a handful of restaurant mints, some tokens to the Piggily Wiggily, enough toothpicks to start a bonfire, a clock made from a fly swatter complete with fly on sweep hand, a gross arm band of some type and two(2) Barry Manilow cassettes. The spare tire compartment was jammed with old Country Living magizines, a flouresent yellow emergency poncho, a stadium cusion and an SOS pad (new in bag). I felt as though I was the first person to look into these various compartments and under the seats. It's a virgin with 99k. The tool kit has the little white gloves included. Are they Volvo issue?
I think I recall it has a stalling problem and it's showing a CEL, which with the help of this board, I will be able to extract and diagnose tonight. The only missing thing so far: The battery has no hold-down. Was this just a chock with a bolt through it? I see a hole next to the batt. that looks like it may be threaded......
"Jane" (not the 16-year-old's real name) is still pretty mum and had the nerve to tell me last night that I was wasting my time. She pisses me off but I'm trying not to react. What a great car for a kid's first car. If she was interested and really cared, I guess she would have made other arrangements by now. In the mean time, this Granny mobile is one clean ride.