Greetings - questions about '87 Volvo 740 Turbo/Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings - questions about '87 Volvo 740 Turbo/Intercooler

Hello everyone, I have a few questions concerning what I said in the title.

Basically, I live in Colorado at an elevation of 5200+ft above sea level. Up here it's pretty much required that you have a car with forced induction.
Recently, my girlfriends sister went off to college in New York and will no longer be needing her '87 740 Turbo/Intercooler. Her mother is going to sell the car, probably for around $1000 (I don't think it's worth this much, as it has some issues.)

I'm thinking about purchasing the car because I'm thinking I could make it an awesome handler. I currently own a Supercoupe, as listed in my sig, they're not the most amazing cars for handling. So anyway, my basic questions are what kind of aftermarket do this older Volvos have, as far as performance, suspension, exterior styling, etc? My other question is, does the Volvo have a 2.3L I-4? The Turbo version that is? I'm wondering, is that the same motor as in the Mustang SVO, Merkur XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbocoupe?

My last question concerns why the car isn't worth $1000 to me. The fact that it has some odd issue where it will be driving fine and then shut-off for no reason and it wont restart. Any ideas? Also, the car seems to have odd vibrations - I'm assuming that if it's the same motor as in the Fords, that is the reason. As I know the 2.3L wasn't exactly known for being a smooth motor.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Greetings - questions about '87 Volvo 740 Turbo/Intercooler

ORIGINAL: Smoof

I'm thinking about purchasing the car because I'm thinking I could make it an awesome handler. I currently own a Supercoupe, as listed in my sig, they're not the most amazing cars for handling. So anyway, my basic questions are what kind of aftermarket do this older Volvos have, as far as performance, suspension, exterior styling, etc? My other question is, does the Volvo have a 2.3L I-4? The Turbo version that is? I'm wondering, is that the same motor as in the Mustang SVO, Merkur XR4Ti and Thunderbird Turbocoupe?
Nope, it's a VOLVO engine, yes it's a 2.3L I-4.

Some Volvos had the same turbo as the Fords (Garret T3), but some had different turbos.

You can drool over the performance parts at IPD and FCP Groton. There are also other forums around that cater to the "modders".

it will be driving fine and then shut-off for no reason and it wont restart.
Usually a relay or the ignition module ("Power Stage" in Volvo-land)

Also, the car seems to have odd vibrations - As I know the 2.3L wasn't exactly known for being a smooth motor.

The Volvo engines are generally smooth...due to the large floaty engine mounts fitted. Just a WAG of course, but failed mounts are not that uncommon (don't forget to replace the tranny mount at the same time).

Some engine vibrations can be traced to the harmonic dampener on the crankshaft...when the rubber ring inside deteriorates, they can slip which is felt as a vibration.

HTH