Hard Starting 93 240 Looked At All Other Posts Still Can't Figure It Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting 93 240 Looked At All Other Posts Still Can't Figure It Out

I have a 93 240 that I just bought. It came from an old lady that only put 6000 miles on it since 1999!!!!! When I test drove the car both times
it started great. I bought the car and picked it up a couple of days later. When I started it then it started fine. Drove it over to my work and parked it. Went out at break a ouple hours later and it wuuld not start. Finally after a minute or so it started but was fllooded so it sputtered until it burnt off the gas and then it ran fine. Everytime since then it has a hard time starting. It turns over the ou have to ease into the gas and when it fires it acts flooded. Rev him up a few times and all is well but next time you start him you get the same think. This has been a couple of weeks now and always the same thing. So I thought maybe I loosened up a peice of carbon that was blocking the fuel from spraying like it is supposed to not to mention it has not been driven even remotly hard in years.I took the car to get an oil change and I had them do the $70 fuel system cleaning thinking it would clear it up but it did not. I spent hours on this forum looking for similar situations. I found out how to read the codes and what they were. So last night when I checked the codes, it gave me 1-1-1 no code given. The plugs, wires, anddistributer are all new. I am baffled.......someone please help!!!!! Also to all the other posts that I read thanks for the help!!!!!! It got me alot farther than I would have. :{)

Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Hard Starting 93 240 Looked At All Other Posts Still Can't Figure It Out

May be a fuel relay problem... And there is no need to pump the gas, this just floods it as you have discovered.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Default RE: Hard Starting 93 240 Looked At All Other Posts Still Can't Figure It Out

Yea i would check whether the fuel pump is turning on early or mabye not turning off at all. Do you seem to have less power than you should have or are you getting poor gas millage? It might be a clog somewhere in your air intake. I would make sure you ahve a clean air filter for a start.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 AM

New air filter already installed. If I don't put my foot in the gas then it will not start. I think it is a little short on power but not alot. The odometer is not working so I don't know exactly how the gas milage is but I am getting about 230+ miles from a tank (rough guess). I did have the fuel system cleaned when I got it. Could it be a fuel pressure regulator or fuel filters?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Thought about it and the gas milage is more like 200 per tank. Also the exhaust is riddled with holes andI was wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Fixing your exhaust leaks will most certainly improve your mileage.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Absolutely fixing it would help with MPG but wouldthe holesmake it hard to start? I am going to get the exhaust repaired and see if it makes a difference. If that don't work I am just going to take it to the Volvo dealer and let them figure it out. Thought mabey the catalitic converter was stopped up but that does not sinc with other symptoms. Who knows????/?????

Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Check for cracks in you cap,check for loose coil wire.rotor.Pull your plug for you AMM,if it runs good with ti unplug maybe bad Amm.How does it Idle? Check for Air Leaks,Cracks in air intank hose, RPM sensor on top of trans houseing.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change fuel pump relay above passengers foot behind carpet large white relay. check coolant temp sensor for fuel injection not gage although it should read similar to one for gage.check for corrosion too should measure high ohms when cold and lo ohms when hot give no gas when starting

Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Took throttle body completely pff and cleaned the gunk out with carb cleaner. It still is hard starting but not as bad. Right after I cleaned it, it started graet for a couple of times and then back to th ame but not quite as bad. Intake look pretty clean on the inside. When the carb loads up the burn off smell smells really stale like old gas. Not sure where to go next. I appreciate all the other suggestions but they all sound random. I wonder if it is just the fuel filters?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you pulled the fuel pressure regualator vaccum hose off and check for Gas in the hose?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:04 PM

Well I had the fuel filters changed and it helped but not much. Now first thing in the morning it starts great but every other time after that it gives me trouble. The fuel pressure regulator is my next step. Can anyone tell me where it is? I need to go get a Haynes or other manual on the car but I have been so busy (death in family) I have not had time.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM

I have recently had a similar problem with my 242 GT. I finally took it into the mechanic and he said I needed to have my high pressure fuel pump replaced. He also mentioned that it would be a good idea to replace the hoses from the fuel tank. It is being fixed today. I will post again to let you know if this fixes the problem.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks smallzfolk I will be interested to see. I am having another problem today. As I was coming home the car started to stammer a little. Then the further I went the worse it got to the point that if I even pushed the gas a little,it tried to stall. Finnally about a mile past where it started I was down to about 10 mph and made a turn and it just died. I put it in neutral and restatrted and it started fine but if I pressed the accelerator it would die. After messing with it, for a minute or soit became drivable to where I could get it home (another 1/2 mile). When I got home it idled fine but if you tried to give it gas it would just bogg dowwn and die. Went inside, came out about five minutes laterand it started fine and curently is running, accelerating, and driving normal. This has happened once before but never to this degree. This thing is a mess..........

Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Well as I thought it was not the relays or any ot that because it ran great it was just hard to start...Turns out that the fuel pressure regulator was the problem. I changed it and the car starts like a cham now. How this helps some one in the future because I could have spent alot of money changing random parts. It started acting like it was running out of gas. First it was when the tank was below 1/4 and then it got to where it would do it around 1/2. Fuel pmps were working so I boiled it down to the regulator. Changed it a bam fixed it. Hope this helps.....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 PM

oh man, thanks so much for doing all the hard work so i don't have to! my '87 240 has been doing the same thing and i was just about to go bazonkers worrying about burning out my starter. thank you so much! oh man, my worries are over... i might keep my volvo after all!