Hard Starting in Morning

Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Starting in Morning

Hello, back again. Would like to thank everybody on their replies on my charging issue. Anyways in the past week the car (93 240 wagon) has been a wicked bear to start in the morning. Finally got it started this morning by holding pedal to floor. I know I was low on fuel and my pre pump hasn't worked for 5 years, but never had this problem before. Went out and filled with gas (took 10 gal.) In the past I have filled it and put 300 miles on it with no starting issues. Now my question is: I have a code for MAP sensor, took it out and cleaned it. Cleared codes. Could a fuel issue cause a Mass air flow code? Or could a Mass Air Flow sensor cause hard starting in the morning, and the thing is it will run like a top all day till it sits all night. Also was told, it could be IAC, but if so , wouldn't it idle like crap, which it doesn't when I get it started in morning. Oh I did clean sensor with MAF cleaner. Fuel pump relay new. Throttle body is clean. Like I said it purrs like a kitten all day. But morning...forget it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh and haven't changed my alternator it, it's putting out 13.1. Thought I would mention that, in case that may be a issue. Thanks again. Sorry, but I love this car. And want to fix it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the intank pump....it seems nasty but it's not.

hard cold starting:

Battery/charging: not your problem
Fuel system malfunctioning: intank pump is out and THERMAL TIME SWITCH under intake manifold....this tells the cold start injector or injectors to squirt certain amount of fuel when cold?
Injectors leaking: have not had this happen to me,
Distributor rotor carbon tracked: don't remember your other posts but I would check the rotor,cap,coil time for a tune up?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermo Time Switch

Is there another name for the Thermo Time Switch...called dealer and having a hard time finding it. 93 240. Also where is it located? Is it under roughly the 3rd intake tube?Towards the firewall. I see 2 senors underneath the 1st and 2nd and a sensor buried towards the rear. Thank You.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensor

Do you have Jetronic 2.4 or Jetronic 3.1? well picture is for a 2.4 Jetronic....
AND I CALLED THE SENSOR AS IT WAS CALLED BACK IN 79....NOW THEY CALL IT...(I have a 79)
ECT SENSOR..."Fuel lnjection "coolant temperature sensor"

check out the picture and you probably can determine the location of the sensor on your model.... read the following regarding faulty coolant temp sensors

• Coolant temperature sensors provide coolant temperature data to the engine management system
  • When not replaced, vehicle could experience pinging, excessive hydrocarbons in oil resulting in premature engine bearing wear, spark plug fouling, catalytic converter failure, poor fuel economy and/or CEL/MIL illumination

Attached Thumbnails Hard Starting in Morning-2.jpeg