heads up. New VOLVO branded AMM/MAF's are likely chinese junk

Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default heads up. New VOLVO branded AMM/MAF's are likely chinese junk

See the last post on this page. 240 LH 2.2, trying to adjust idle CO mixture - Turbobricks Forums

I dunno who GCP is, but they sure aren't Bosch.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierce
See the last post on this page. 240 LH 2.2, trying to adjust idle CO mixture - Turbobricks Forums

I dunno who GCP is, but they sure aren't Bosch.
I guess I don't like painting with a broad brush for parts made in India and China. Our cars are 20, 30, 40 years old. There is not a make in the world who will keep producing precise OEM parts for vehicles this old; Especially one which has been sold twice. Can you imagine the cost of a limited production AMM produced in the EU by Bosch? Yes, Bosch and other Euro suppliers hve licensed most of their products to be built mostly in India and China. I have been both delighted and deeply disappointed at the build quality of parts I have bought.

As far as these AMM's go, They are a Bosch product and furthermore, the very same product is sold by this forums sponsor, FCPeuro:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...sensor-1346645
So I think it is wrong-headed to call out GCP on this score.

BTW, GCP is owned by ECRIS (VOLVO SWEDEN) and is part of an interesting program designed to limit landfill waste through reconditioning:

Environment - LIFE by Theme

We are just going to have to face the fact that our cars are no longer economically viable to parts manufacturers. We still have a lot of options in new and used and rebuilt parts and just need to be diligent in our sourcing. It's not the end of the world if someone has to take back a part for a 30 year old car. I am grateful that a company has been formed to supply us with parts at all.

In sum, this part is what is good enough for Bosch. It is a Bosch part manufactured under a Bosch license; it has nothing whatsoever to do with having been manufactured in China.

Last edited by fochs; 01-09-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford sold Volvo to a Chinese company a few years ago. I'm thinking maybe the OEM parts are starting to come from China? I know they want to start building the cars there.

Geely Holding Group is the new owner.

Welcome to Geely

Old 01-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with fochs on this. You can't always equate Chinese built = junk. There are both good and bad products built in China. Hopefully these AMMs built there are built to the Bosch spec and are tested as such during manufacture. So I wouldn't write them off as bad until someone has had experience with and has determined that the quality isn't up to snuff.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

per the referenced article, they are lighter, don't look anything the same inside, and don't have the LH2.2 adjuster. to me that equates to cheapened.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierce
per the referenced article, they are lighter, don't look anything the same inside, and don't have the LH2.2 adjuster. to me that equates to cheapened.

Agreed; the lack of an adjusting screw is problematic and I don't know about the internals. The issue I have is referring to it as "Chinese junk" when in fact it is "Bosch junk". I do not know whether this is a junk part, but to attribute this junk label to an automotive part based on the country of manufacture is just wrong. It is the responsibility of the brand to ensure the build quality and correctness of the product. Just because it is manufactured in China by Chinese workers does not make it junk.

As far as I know, Bosch is still Robert Bosch GmbH; It's on them.

The following users liked this post:
SE93940T (08-22-2023)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 PM

Old thread.... but has anyone actually put one of these parts in and had it work properly?

Old 08-23-2022, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by shwebo
Old thread.... but has anyone actually put one of these parts in and had it work properly?
Funny you say that, I have the new 2.4 maf that I bought a week ago. Had codes for maf signal faulty or missing and burn off wire. Replaced with pic related, now I only have the burn off wire code missing/faulty and a mixture code. (Ignore the connector tab missing, bought car like it and doesn't have it)
Car definitely runs better than before, but still misses/bucks, especially at idle in drive (auto), it really bogs and shakes, but is still driveable. neutral is a healthier idle but still shakes the whole car. I have cleaned the IAC but not tested it, as I felt it would throw a light or code.
It is very possible that I'm still missing something, and I realize that.
I have yet to test, but I don't have high hopes, and that's sad, as this was genuine parts from IPD. I don't know why this whole MAF fiasco with different versions of the same part number is happening, I just want my baby to drive right :c