Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hello everyone ive had my 240 for about 2 months and its great. I noticed drive belts where shiny and cracked so i got the parts, did my research and got ready. Now i cant remove the ac belt. Damn ac wont move at all. I loosened the 13mm and 10mm bolts to have some play and nothing. I tried loosening the mounting bolts for the ac and still nothing. Its my daily commuter to work 160 miles. Please help thanks in advance.

Edit: fyi i did remove the fan, fan cover water pump and alt belts are off. Not completely just hanging there still. Power steering also cant come off. Its loose but belt still wont come off i think because the ac wont move a little.

Last edited by PhamDang; 02-15-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:02 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by PhamDang
Now i cant remove the ac belt. I loosened the 13mm and 10mm bolts to have some play and nothing.
You have to loosen all the lock down nuts - including the one under the ps pump, use a 13mm wrench to get to it.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
You have to loosen all the lock down nuts - including the one under the ps pump, use a 13mm wrench to get to it.

thank you for the reply. Are you talking about these? The one touching with the tube from the penetrating fluid? Those are really on there almost stripped them. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM

No those bolts mount the bracket to the compressor, do not loosen those. Loosen the 8mm nut (13mm wrench) on the sliding bracket on the top of the compressor both on the front upper bracket and the rear upper bracket (that is hard to get to and you can't really see) The one circled in the picture i posted. Note how it would loosen and slide in the #6 bracket?

The following users liked this post:
PhamDang (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM

No those bolts mount the bracket to the compressor, do not loosen those. Loosen the 8mm nut (13mm wrench) on the sliding bracket on the top of the compressor both on the front upper bracket and the rear upper bracket (that is hard to get to and you can't really see) The one circled in the picture i posted. Note how it would loosen and slide in the #6 bracket?

Haha yes thank you sir!!! This is really a relationship with this volvo. I love it but i hate it.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:54 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

part 7 in that drawing is a tensioner, its not obvious but there's a long screw the length of it, you turn it from the end, and it moves the two part 5 pieces, and therefore the whole compressor, to loosen or tighten the belts. there's a similar mechanism on the alternator that might be easier to see how it works from topside..

Old 02-15-2021, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=hoonk;495084]No those bolts mount the bracket to the compressor, do not loosen those. Loosen the 8mm nut (13mm wrench) on the sliding bracket on the top of the compressor both on the front upper bracket and the rear upper bracket (that is hard to get to and you can't really see) The one circled in the picture i posted. Note how it would loosen and slide in the #6 bracket?[/QUOTE

Hi again so I managed to put the belts back on and ran to a few problems. One of the two fan/alt belt is more loose than the other one. Theyre the same size!!!

Also my power steering reservoir is not leveled and i tightened all the bolts for the ac and the belt is too loose. I dont know what happened. Is there a way to do this right? Like first the power steering before the ac or vice versa? And should I tighten first the 13mm before the 10mm or first the 10mm then the 13mm? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-15-2021, 05:40 PM

One of the two belts is more loose than the other

Tightened everything and ac belt is loose like really loose

Old 02-15-2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by PhamDang
One of the two fan/alt belt is more loose than the other one.

Also my power steering reservoir is not leveled and i tightened all the bolts for the ac and the belt is too loose.Is there a way to do this right? Like first the power steering before the ac or vice versa? And should I tighten first the 13mm before the 10mm or first the 10mm then the 13mm? Thanks for your help!!!
The 10mm adjusts, the 13 lock it in place. You should have bought a matched pair of belts not just 2 of the same size. I always used continental belts and they came in a matched pair for 240s. (9.5x925?) I guess do the best you can, Although they may squeal when first started.

The AC belt is wrong, it's too long. Might should be a 13x975 (or 925-950 - it's been a while, or depends on the size of the ac clutch, later 134 clutches are smaller.) I do see from your picture you have not tightened the ac belt yet - does it get tight when adjusted?

Put the AC belt on, tighten the 10mm to adjust it almost tight. tighten the rear locknut. Turn the 10 until the compressor is aligned (as best as possible) and tighten the front locknut (it may never be aligned until you replace all the rubber mounts) Then tighten the 10 on the p/s until the belt is not too tight - that p/s pump will lean over badly when the bushings are bad. And the belt will make lots of noise if at an angle. All of them will make noise when the bushings wear and stuff does not line up.

If you don't tighten any locknut the long 6mm bolt (w 10mm head) will break, so don't forget.

All three on a 240 (alt, ps and ac) are mounted in rubber bushings. They sag over time. The lower alternator bolt is always left loose and gets very worn also. That all adds up to "no pulleys line up" and " my belts make a lot of noise".

Last edited by hoonk; 02-15-2021 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhamDang (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM

The 10mm adjusts, the 13 lock it in place. You should have bought a matched pair of belts not just 2 of the same size. I always used continental belts and they came in a matched pair for 240s. (9.5x925?) I guess do the best you can, Although they may squeal when first started.

The AC belt is wrong, it's too long. Might should be a 13x975 (or 925-950 - it's been a while, or depends on the size of the ac clutch, later 134 clutches are smaller.) I do see from your picture you have not tightened the ac belt yet - does it get tight when adjusted?

Put the AC belt on, tighten the 10mm to adjust it almost tight. tighten the rear locknut. Turn the 10 until the compressor is aligned (as best as possible) and tighten the front locknut (it may never be aligned until you replace all the rubber mounts) Then tighten the 10 on the p/s until the belt is not too tight - that p/s pump will lean over badly when the bushings are bad. And the belt will make lots of noise if at an angle. All of them will make noise when the bushings wear and stuff does not line up.

If you don't tighten any locknut the long 6mm bolt (w 10mm head) will break, so don't forget.

All three on a 240 (alt, ps and ac) are mounted in rubber bushings. They sag over time. The lower alternator bolt is always left loose and gets very worn also. That all adds up to "no pulleys line up" and " my belts make a lot of noise".
Thank you I finally finished lol. What takes one hour or so took me 8 hrs 😂. The reason one of the belts was more loose than the other one was because my dumdum forgot to put the fan. As soon as i put that the four nuts that hold the fan it straighten and fixed itself. Thank you again. Now i can commute. Although my IPD order is coming soon to replace a lot of parts so Im going to have to take off the belts... Again.

'92 240