high idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle

hey new problem, one problem goes away, and a new one shows up. My car (b230f) 89 740gl is running a high idle and if I am in drive and shift into neutral, the car will rev about a thousand rpms higher and then back off. Anyway the code is 1-1-3 which seems to be two rich or two lean and seems to be an 02 sensor problem. What other problems could this code indicate for?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Default RE: high idle

Does your car have the CIS sysytem? If it does you might check to see if there are any loose wires anywhere or if one of the componenets in that is bad. Also it could just be a simple vacuum leak somewhere. I hate all the damn vacuum hoses that run everywhere in these cars but it could very likely be a vacuum leak you should look around thouroughlyto see if you have an unhooked hose somewhere.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM

I don't see alot of vacumn hoses on this engine. There seems to be about 5 in total. What is the CIS system? My ranger had more vacumn hoses then this thing, and I'm a bit glad it doesn't haveas many as the ranger.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM

The CIS is the Constant Idle Speed system.I don't know if your car has it. Do you have a repair manual for it? I would check that to see if your car does. If you are totally sure it's not a vacuum leak it could be a leak in the intake manifold somewhere. Or it could be that your O2 sensor needs replacing. How long has it been since you last replaced it? If it has been more than 30,000 or so miles i would replace that regardless. It's only about 40 bucks at any auto parts store and it will improve your fuel economy and help it run smoother.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM

whatever parts you replace, go with OEM replacement.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:19 AM

replaced the 02 sensor, the flame guard, and a couple of vacumn tubes today. the sensor and the tubes quashed alot of the variability in the high idle. There is still a high idle (1200) at start up, but after it warms up, it settles down to a normal idle of about 750. My feelings is this is the coolant temperature sensor or the MAF is contributing to the high idle at intial startup. any more thoughts on the subject?

Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 PM

definitely make sure thethrottle switch is properly set/adjusted.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM

are speaking about the Throttle Position Sensor which is an electronic module, and I have no understanding of adjusting this piece; or are you talking of adjusting the throttle plate (butterfly)?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:27 PM

this module is on the throttle body, i think you know what/where it is...the black electronic component on the throttle body. when you play with the axial motion of the throttle plate you should hear a minute "click" at the closed postion. if you do not hear this when the plate has closed then the switch is not sending it's signal to the computer...probably.

there are two points of adjustment for this. the main pointfor adjustment is going to be the stopper pin/screw, if you plan on checking thisyou must inspect the throttle body and look at the mechanical principal of what is making the plate stop once at closed position. here and there, you'll notice that you cant get the throttle body off without removing the throttle linkage from the acceleratorcable pulley. this linkage is the second point of adjustment, and usually the sneakiest.
remember; at, or rather, near the fully closed position of throttle plate you should engage the switch by hearing a minute "click". after understanding the principals you'll see how to adjust the screw which stops the plate. up or down until you hear the click...give 2-3mm play. regarding the lnkage once all is reassembled, make sure the linkage did not displace the plate, it can do this...check for the click, you may have to simply adjust the linkage...but if not play around here and learn. good stuff.[sm=violent053.gif]