I searched, but found no answer. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I searched, but found no answer. Help please.

Hi all:

I am new to the forum as you can see. I did a search for my transmission problem but found no answer, and was hoping that you could help me.

I have an 87' 240 w/ an auto trans. The thing keeps jumping out of over drive. When I push the button on the shift handle it does not engage the OD some times.

I can hold the button for miles, & nothing. Then sometimes it is not in OD as I start the car.

I checked the trans fluid level & it needed some, added what was required & still have the same problem.

Going nuts on this one.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

John

Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I searched, but found no answer. Help please.

John- I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks than me out there on T-missions, but I had a shifting problem with my 240, wouldnt go into the higher gears. The shift down cable was wrapped around something and it was under tension all the time. You might want to check this out, see if it maybe needs some lubrication? Just my 2c worth. Dave

Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM

If your problem is just that it jumps out of OD and the button doesn't work don't go messing around with the kickdown cable. 99% chance the problem is your OD relay. It is under the dash just to the left of the glovebox (which you must take out to get to it its just like 8 little screws) on mine it is green I believe but your could be a diffrent color. I would guess it is white if it isn't green. You can pick up a new one at a junkyard for less than 5 bucks. You could also try to fix it yourself by just running a soldering iron and some fresh solder over the backside of it. When my car did the exact same thing that fixed it. I can't seem to find any place that sells the OD relays other than getting them straight from Volvo which will probably cost you like 80 dollars. If a new relay doesn't fix it than it is either a wiring problem or a problem with your OD solenoid which is pretty easily replaced.
Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM

OD solenoid, I was not aware of that.

I presumed that it was a faulty ground at the shift ****.

I'll look for the OD solenoid as work slows down next week.

Thanks to you both.

John

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Don't worry about the solenoid until you chack the relay. Your problem sounds like a bad relay and that is a lot easier of a fix than the solenoid. So start simple and make sure it isn't the relay before you dive into the solenoid.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the relay. But before you replace it, make sure you check the wire to the OD solenoid that passes over the transmission. The insulation often wears off and shorts out on the transmission housing and blows the relay. Don't learn this like I did. You don't want to buy 2 relays!

B

Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Frist off a thanks to all who have replyed.

I found this on the internet today while I was on break.

QUOTE:

Drive Train / DrivelineOtherWhen drivingAlways
Q:I have a 1986 volvo 240 with an automatic transmission.
The transmission will not shift into overdrive on a regular basis. Sometimes it will shift but it will not stay in overdrive. There is an overdrive shifting solenoid on top of the transmission and I am wondering if this could be the problem with it not shifting. There is a button on the shift **** to lock it out of o/d and this seems to work correctly or at least it turns the indicator light on and off. If you could help me please let me know. Thank You, Bill Conner
williamcprimo1@aol.com

A:The wires at the bottom of the switch tend to fray and work on again and off again....... Ed

UN-QUOTE:

This would support my "bad ground" theory. Now I must agree it may be at the switch (but which one? The one on the trans or in the car?). Though I need to go & purchase a Chiltons book so I can find where these two items are located.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 AM

Well, after pulling my glove compartment (who wears gloves?), I found that just touching the relay it would jump between on & off.

Time for Ebay.

A sincere thank you to all !!

John