Its going to volvo heaven.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its going to volvo heaven.....

Hi all, as you can see i'm new......and i need some help. I have a yellow 1976 245DL, from new with our family. it only has 75k miles, reasonably good body work and the last time it moved (2001...) it was fine.

problem i have is that i want to put it back on the road, going to have to do it myself but i have the following immediate problems before i even start:

brakes, totally useless apart from hand brake.
engine, hasn't started in 6 years
suspension is quite sloppy
lots of small jobs such as wrong windscreen trim, broken rear wiper motor etc.....but that's for later.

Now, i have very limited abilities but want to tackle this myself to save cash and to get it good enough to be able to move so i can send it off for proper help.

there's only a small patch of rust at the bottom of the rear panel, original paint is a bit flat but good chrome and interior....and the biggest webasto sun roof you have ever seen.

My parents are sick of it taking up space but i loved the car, great gearbox, obviously loads of room and yes i like the looks.....and lots of sentimental value. if it runs it stays....if it doesn't its the scrappie. even though its not a classic like an MGB or similar i think its definitely worth saving.

before i chuck in a new battery and turn the key, where should i start, what should i check and do you think this is possible for a novice to tackle? i know the car is probably only worth 100 quid at best even in great condition but i'd like to see her go again.

any help/recommendations (not for asylums though!) very welcome.....

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Default RE: Its going to volvo heaven.....

The car has been sitting for 6 years so there are a few places you want to address. Obviously whatever gas is in the tank is probably no good. You may consider siphoning it out, and putting in some high test. Cleaning up the carb would probably be good too.

The brakes are also something that you will want to address. Are you leaking brake fluid somewhere, or are the brake parts worn?

That should be a good start, good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Definitely change the gas. If it is a carb car, you could disconnect the gas line from the fuel tank and run a new one into a gas can. Then, if it starts, you could go to the trouble of siphoning out all the old gas.

I would remove the spark plugs and squirt a bit of motor oil into the cylinder. Then, find a wrench that fits the crankshaft pulley bolt and gently try to turn the engine a bit, just to make sure it's not frozen.

You said the suspension is "sloppy". If the car only has 75K on it, then your bushings, struts and shocks may be shot, but your balljoints should be OK.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Thanks guys, small steps - I ordered the Haynes manual on the weekend but no way it gives that kind of advice. I'll give it a try over the next couple of weeks (work is a nightmare) but as long as I show there's hope....there's time! Thanks again, will be back soon!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Let us know how it goes. I'll look forward to reading updates.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM

OK,

1: Drop the gas tank, dispose of the old gas properly and rinse out with some new gas. Have the carb rebuilt at a local shop if you are not confident with doing that.

2: Take out the plugs and spray a good dose of WD-40 into each cylinder. (spray for about 10 seconds each one)
Let that sit for a few hours or overnight. Crank the engine over by hand with a ratchet. If it turned pretty easily then using a new or spare battery crank it over without the plugs for 10 -15 seconds. Do this a few times and see if you get oil pressure (if there is a gauge).

3: Inspect ignition system and all hoses - belts - vacuum lines etc.

4: Replace fuel tank, fuel filter, carb and aircleaner. Check all fuel lines.

5rain the oil and remove the oil filter and allow all the oil to drain completely. Put in new oil filter, new oil + a liter of 15 minute engine flush.

6: Try starting the engine if it starts try to idle and warm it up to normal operating temp without going of 2,000 rpm or so. Watch the temp and coolant level etc. Don't mess with coolant yet as you need to work the water pump some before changing anything.

7: After a few minutes of idling and getting warm watch for oil leaks at crank shaft seals. They can go bad after sitting for so long.

8: If you have made it this far with no issues you are in real good shape. Drain oil again and replace it and filter. (I suggest using a "high mileage" formulation of oil if you have any minor oil leaks.

9: Now you can drain cooling system and refill. I suggest doing that again in a month or so. Old coolant can turn acidic over time and it is hard to flush completely unless you have it power flushed. Changing twice in close succession usually does fine.

10: Now that you have the engine running good, you need to fix the brake issues before proceeding onto the road. I suggest doing a complete overhaul of the brake system. New calipers, Wheel cylinders, Rotors drums pads, maybe even a rebuilt master cylinder. Flush the lines with Alcohol while master cylinder and other parts are off the car.

If you have not driven it how do you know the suspension is sloppy?

I hope this helps as a baseline, I think the order in which I wrote this should allow you to find the MAJOR problems first. If you encounter a problem performing these steps. example Fuel tank is rusted through. or Carburettor has bad accelerator pump. You will save lots of effort farther down the line to find out maybe you want to send it along to "Volvo Heaven"

Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 PM

thanks for that write up -great advice. I opened the bonnet for the first time yesterday....first time in years and boy did my heart sink.....unlike the bonnet.....the springs are stuck open and the catch won't hold it closed! The rust has crept in in a few places and there's a lot of white stuff on the interior plastics. nothing that a good clean shouldn't fix although the steering wheel feels sticky.

I will go for it on the engine as you describe - to be honest I'll leave the brakes for an expert - i checked all the fluids and pipes, all looks fine but the pedal just drops to the floor. i'm not yet confident that i can fix it up well enough to stop a tonne or so of yellow volvo.

The suspension was always a bit floaty...sloppy is maybe a bit harsh. i always put it down to it being 30+ years old - my father is convinced its had it....no way you can really compare suspension then to something like today's....(my 2c). it seemed its usually bouncy self to me.

I'll be picking up a battery on the august bank holiday and give it a go - i'll take back the laptop as i'm sure i'll need your help !!

more updates to follow.....fingers crossed.