Kick-Down cable, which nuts to adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick-Down cable, which nuts to adjust?

I recently did a flush of the transmission with the hosing from IPD and although the car if shifting better, it's still runs much higher than it should or I have to almost completely let off the gas. So, I figure it's the kick down cable but I'm not positive which nut I should adjust. Here's a pic:

Name:  profile-1.jpg
Views: 15409
Size:  49.0 KB

If it's 'A', then which length should I be measuring for a proper adjustment and at what length should that be? I read 1mm when throttle is completely closed? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A is throttle cable, adjust it so you have the smallest amount of slack. You should be able to pull the cable up a small amount before the wheel starts to move.
B is the kickdown cable. I adjust it so the kickdown detent is JUST felt through the throttle pedal when mashed to the boards at the very end of pedal travel.
C is cruise control. Don't touch it unless it is very slack or looks very tight.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 PM

I have a 92 940 turbo and when people talk about adjusting the kickdown cable, are they refering to cable b? I the first post it sounded like he had an idle problem. thought kickdown was just for activating overdrive?

Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 AM

The kickdown cable adjusts two things. One, it is a "sensor" for the transmission, it controls a valve that tells the transmission how far throttle is opened. This valve's pressure goes up against governor pressure to determine shift speed points and shift firmness.
It also controls the kickdown valve at full throttle, this is the detent you feel, the kickdown valve being opened. If the throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted, it is likely that the kickdown cable will need adjusting when the throttle cable is adjusted.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM

By detent, do you mean the point on the throttle where I have to apply more pressure/push through a 'stop' to keep accelerating? I think it's worth noting that my transmission will kick down well before I reach the detent at times. Any ideas on what measurements to adjust these wires to as well? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:28 AM

I've always found measurements wrong. Yes, "detent" is the term for the artificial feel they've given the kickdown cable when the kickdown valve is opened.You will feel it if you pull on the kickdown cable, and should feel it through the go pedal, it is that extra firmness you feel in the pedal or cable.
You should really adjust kickdown to just come in at WOT, if you want it a little earlier, you can tweak it from there.
It should be noted that the valve sin the transmission (including kickdown and gear selector) have ball and spring detents to create feel for us users, the valves move seamlessly and would give no indication of where they are otherwise.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM

I don't follow you, WOT?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Wide Open Throttle

Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Wow, my ignorance astounds even me. Thank you much bubba. I've been tinkering with the throttle and kick-down cables for the past few weeks and Andrew. I think I have a better understanding of what's going on. However on the kick-down cable, the small nodule that's located outside the rubber sleeve has no more room to travel outside of the sleeve when tightening. In fact, I tightened the kick-down cable to the point where the node was inside of the sleeve although I didn't keep it this way. The point is, the transmission has been shifting better overall when I've adjusted the throttle cable to corrsepond with the kick-down cable changes. It still shifts hard at times though, enough to make the vehicle give a decent kick. I've also noticed what appears to be an increase in fuel consumption, is this normal? It would make sense considering I'm opening up the throttle more. It's worth noting that I've recently done a power flush and I've changed the rear mount. I'm also planning to change the filter out soon. Thoughts? suggestions?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 AM

You should set you throttle cable so you are getting WOT and ensure you have some play at idle. Once you have that adjusted, you leave it alone.
Concentrate purely on kickdown cable adjustments from then on.
As you have found, you can adjust shift points by adjusting the kickdown cable, but it should only be adjusted to give the kickdown detent right on full throttle.
Is the car shifting up early or late?At full throttle, what speed does the gearbox change from 1 to 2?
If this is not giving you decent shifts you may have a problem with the governor in the transmission. Hard shifting can sometimes occur on the 1-2 shift with these transmissions when a rubber check ball disintegrates, or the accumulators may have been modified before you got the car.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Not having any of these problems, but surely enjoying the education, Thanks Andrew.