Looking at 94 940 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 94 940 Turbo

Here's the thing, it won't always start, but it seems like it drives great when it does start.

What's the worst that it could be? what are some likely culprits? How much am I looking at pouring into this thing to get starting and running well?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your relay see if you can check the contacts on it, or if you can pull some codes, might be starter, relay or possibly ignition switch

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be any number of things but if the price is right, buy it. The 94 has 13mm rods AND piston oil squirters. It and the 84 B23FT are the two most sought after motors for performance. Anytime you buy one of these cars you can always expect to spend 500-1000 to get it back in order. And, that's not counting tires. That's why it's always nice to find one that runs and drives with no heinous body damage. Often when they have intermittent issues like this the owner will almost give them away because they are so exasperated. A multi-meter and a decent shop manual can almost always get the car back on the straight and narrow!!

Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44
Could be any number of things but if the price is right, buy it. The 94 has 13mm rods AND piston oil squirters. It and the 84 B23FT are the two most sought after motors for performance. Anytime you buy one of these cars you can always expect to spend 500-1000 to get it back in order. And, that's not counting tires. That's why it's always nice to find one that runs and drives with no heinous body damage. Often when they have intermittent issues like this the owner will almost give them away because they are so exasperated. A multi-meter and a decent shop manual can almost always get the car back on the straight and narrow!!
Just got the car. It will have to be towed to my place (or I could pull it with my 245 i guess) cause it wouldn't start this afternoon when it was HOT. I did drive it this morning and it drove great. It was a cool crisp morning, and the car loved it, I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the hot weather. Engine and tranny seemed very solid. The whole car is clean as a whistle (inside and out). The guy had replaced the fuel filter/pump.

Basically this afternoon I went to look it over again and the car started up right away, then died after about 2 seconds. After that it would turn over, but never fire up I don't think any gas was getting to the engine. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what to look at first?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hot Dog! sounds like we have a winner! There is a way to jumper fuses to work around the fuel relay. I know how to do it on 240's but never had to on 7/9's. someone will chime in, it does sound like the fuel relay but I suppose it could be the crank sensor or the ignition module. Regardless, you got yourself a sweet car! The 94 and 95 940T's are the newest Volvos I'd ever consider owning....they are the last of the breed!! Congratulations, sir!!

Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Hot Dog! sounds like we have a winner! There is a way to jumper fuses to work around the fuel relay. I know how to do it on 240's but never had to on 7/9's. someone will chime in, it does sound like the fuel relay but I suppose it could be the crank sensor or the ignition module. Regardless, you got yourself a sweet car! The 94 and 95 940T's are the newest Volvos I'd ever consider owning....they are the last of the breed!! Congratulations, sir!!
Thanks for the info Swift. Now I need to go get a good 940 manual. Any suggestions for that? I have the bentley and the haynes for the 240, both are pretty good.

I'll post some pictures middle of this week when I get the car to the house. Needless to say, very excited.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Bentley and Hanes should make one for the 940 i believe

Old 09-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Bentleys is always good. I've always tried to accumulate the actual Volvo "Green" books for the specific cars I have. They come up quite often on eBay. Full of detailed information. Chiltons and Haynes are a lot better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but often leave out just the information you need. But, doesn't sound like there's too much wrong w/ your new car...be sure to post pics when you can!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same way as a 240 just hot wire the main pump to the fuse panel or battery with wire...unless it's regina..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 AM

There's no Bentley for the 7/9 cars unfortunately. There's a british Haynes that covers many 9 series, and it includes RHD. Much info is similar to/same as 7 series also, which has some decent coverage in Haynes and Chiltons. I have a lot of those and going from one to another often will get near the truth. But not always.

The issue above is most often caused by bad relay solder, on either fuel pump relay or fuel injection relay. There are other possibilities but here, the car runs, the relay gets warm, the tiny cracks in the solder separate, the car no longer runs. The car cools down... etc. IMO, any 7/9 car should have spare fuel pump relay and fuel injection/radio suppression relays (same thing) as standard equipment.
Read that FAQ link extensively, there is so much helpful info about details no book covers it's amazing.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 AM

CRAP! Instead of being an honest individual, the guy sold it yesterday while we were getting towing arrangements to someone who made him a higher offer. This is after he had given me his word that it was mine and his word was his bond. Is there such a thing anymore? I had even offered to get him the money but he refused, saying not to worry, he wouldn't sell it to anyone.

Of course, the car started perfectly and the other guy drove it away, something I couldn't have done on Sat as the car would not start or go anywhere when I was there.

Feeling sick today. Would throwing a basket of eggs at a certain individuals house would make this better?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Nah. Be the better man. Everything happens for a reason. I'm a firm believer that when one door closes, another one opens. I see a non-mystery volvo in your future. Just don't get in a hurry. They fall into your lap when you aren't looking. And, with any luck, the seller got paid in counterfeit money!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Nah. Be the better man. Everything happens for a reason. I'm a firm believer that when one door closes, another one opens. I see a non-mystery volvo in your future. Just don't get in a hurry. They fall into your lap when you aren't looking. And, with any luck, the seller got paid in counterfeit money!!!
Ha, I was joking about the eggs, and the guy probably needed the extra money more than I needed the car anyway. Although I really wasn't very happy when I first found out.

This is the second week in a row that I was minutes away from buying that exact car. Like I said before, the search is half the fun for me. Time to hit up CL! Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully the dude that bought the car can use the tips in this thread.