loosening my belt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosening my belt.

Hello fellow Volvo drivers,

I've noticed the belt which connects with the A/C is loose, or has less tension than any other of the belts upon the block. With this, the A/C operates with a squealing too horrifying for me to operate it, and of course it degrading my Volvo. from this i simply do not use my A/C, however perhaps this lack of tension, in comparison to the other belts, is the cause of the squealing. how would i go about to check whether the correct tension is in place and/or correcting the tension?
Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Default RE: loosening my belt.

Find the longest run of the compressor drive belt and using firm thumb pressure on the middle of that run deflect the belt. On this belt only the maximum deflection should not be more than 1 to 2 mm. The other belts should deflect 5 to 10 mm. Check them while you are busy.

If it is more than that, slacken the mounting bolts slightly and take up the adjustment on the positive tensioning bolt. Retighten the mounting bolts.

The positive tensioning bolt can be seen over the top of the compressor looking towards the mounting bracket.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:36 AM

thank you for your reply,

so i gather from what you say that i am to check the tension by pushing down or up upon the belt, preferably in th middle point of whatever pulleys correspond to the particular belt. in this case the belt which assists the A/C unit in operation. ok. now when i do press down upon it, note that there is no set amount of pressure to apply to check (more-so i use a common sense pressure), the slack is that it is deflecable much more than 1-2 MM. are you certain 1-2MM, pardon me sir but i do beleive that's quite a small amount unless the entire belt assembly with my block needs an overhaul. i'd say the slck goes about 15-20MM or perhaps an inch. give or take. In any case are you saying, regardless of the prior, that i should perhaps re-adjust the position of the compressor to so as to add to the tension? replace a retaining bushing? or both? And of course good sir, i thank you for your insight.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM

You have it right about the pressure, just push down in the centre of the longest run, no matter which belt it is. I confirm that the book says 1 - 2 mm, if you are not happy with that then leave it at 3 - 4 mm, it should not squeal. If, in fact, you have 15 - 20mm then that is definitely your problem. The other belts should have 5 - 10 mm deflection.

If you adjust the compressor using the positive positioning bolt it does move the compressor to tighten the belt. There should be no need to replace the 'retaining bushing' unless there is an obvious fault with it.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:40 PM

excellant, issue resolved. No more squealing with A/C compressor online, thank you.

btw, is it normal for the RPM to mildly drop (about 100-200 rpm) at the point when the compressor clicks? by click i mean that the center mechanism (within the realm of the rotating pulley) is engaged then disengages, or it rotates to then the rotation is disengaed, with the engagement the rpm drops. common sense would tell me that it makes sense since the engine's power is being diverted in bursts. any comments upon this?

thank you fellow Volvo drivers.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it is common for the RPM to drop some when the compressor kicks in.