Lost my clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lost my clutch!!!

Car is a '92 245, m47 5-speed (If I recall correctly)

So I had my clutch replaced a few weeks back, and during the process the stupid plastic adjuster screw thing broke. When all was said and done we put it back together and rigged the adjuster screw back in place. Everything was hunky-dory. Recently (just this week) I was having difficulty putting her in 1st gear, and she was grinding a lot between gears. Figured I'd drive it until I could put it on a lift at work and have a tech look at it with me. Didn't get that far.

The clutch pedal has about one inch of pedal movement, I can lift it up with my hand but the pedal just drops back down like a rock. Looked under the car, and the adjuster is all the way forward on the screw.

I'm assuming this means I need a new cable assembly, yes? If so, how difficult is it to install a new clutch cable? I would like to have a part in doing the labor, but I am just an oil-change kid at a dealership, with little experience other than oil changes. Would you suggest tackling it myself or with the help of a technician? Thank you volvo community

Old 12-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy! If you get a person at the shop to look at it to help you adjust it will be easy.

Remove the return spring on the clutch fork. Remove the clevis pin at the top end of the cable from the top of the pedal arm. You can pull the top end of the cable out of the firewall (into the engine compartment). Now disconnect the bottom end of the cable from the clutch fork. You may need some WD-40 or PBlaster to make it come off easier. Loosen the nut and pull it out.

Just don't loose any parts like the clevis pin and clip or the stuff that connects the fork to the cable. Once you've done that, putting it back together is a piece of cake. The only trick is once it's together, now you get to adjust it. Just make sure you have a little free play (it unloads the throwout bearing completely). Then you may be able to adjust it a little more to get the pedal to actuate where you like it. Just make sure it fully releases (does not drag or pull the car when it gear, clutch to the floor and rev the engine) and fully engages (has free play). Poof, you've learned rocket science!

In the next few days Zinqui1k will probably post how he installed and adjusted his with pictures, in this thread: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...nd-swap-73389/

Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! As soon as my parts come in I will most likely have this page up as I do it step by step. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the spec for a clutch pedal is usually about 1" of pedal free play at the top before you feel the spring pressure, and the clutch should be fully disengaged WELL before you get to the bottom of the travel, such that the friction point starts about halfway between floored and all the way out.... at least, thats what it was on my VW rabbit & jetta (last daily drivers I had with clutches, my manual transmissions are down to a 1965 ford pickup and a motorcycle).