MAF Sensor differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

No worries, the MAFS in these cars are quite a head scratcher. I think a lot of Bosch b230 equipped Volvo owners give up due to that sensor's temperament. They assume that a "new" one will be OK, and if it's not, as it often is the case, they keep on searching for other causes which is reasonable except the MAFS, and other parts, are not necessarily good just because you just bought them new. The MAFS is especially tricky because it can cause various driving malfunctions, throw weird unrelated OBD codes, etc. One of my 940s is a Rex ignition (no MAFS) and more and more and think that's better for long term trouble free use...

Old 05-17-2024, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF differences

So I have gone through three different mass airflow sensors and I noticed that the original one that the car worked with before an error in diagnosing leading to mailing it back for a core return had the v shaped prong with a wire between each, and each other subsequent MAF with the same part number did not have the v shaped prong and the car did not run well or at all with any of them. It also threw the code for wire burn off signal missing.

My new mechanic lent me his own mass airflow sensor and it has the v shaped prong and the car has been running perfectly for two months now. I’m wondering why despite the same part number there is a discrepancy in a piece in the middle of the unit? I need to buy my own on eBay as the mechanic gave me three months to find my own mass airflow sensor (insists on non remanufactured and factory original) that would work in my car and it’s been extremely difficult finding the one I need. Sellers have been challenging me that should work anyway, but I've purchased three expensive ones with failure in the last year and I am intent on buying the one that works in the car. Not sure why it's an issue, but I definitely noticed a difference in performance between the two different interior designs despite the identical part numbers.