Massive electrical problems on 1997 940

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive electrical problems on 1997 940

I recently bought a 1997 940 on Ebay and it is having major electrical problems. So far here is the list of things that dont work at all:

Both seats
Gauge lights
Interior lights
High-beam lights
Radio
Analog clock

The only thing that does work is the outside temperature gauge, spedometer, tachometer, odometer.

It also dings (like when the key is in the ignition and the door is open) while driving after the car has started.

I checked all of the fuses...any ideas?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Default RE: Massive electrical problems on 1997 940

It sounds like you may have some wires that are broken/grounding somewhere. I'm poorly versed at electrical problems, but I'd visually inspect the wires as far as you can, just to see any cracked/damaged wires. I would recommend you reset the computer to rule that out as a culprit. Do you have a check engine light on?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Im racking my brain here.Recheck all the fuses I remember having this problem many times at the dealer.
I think it could also be a shorted dome light.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 PM

Ok, I'm an electrical Junkie, so i feel somewhat confident answering this,

First: Find out what fuses are involved, (look at what fuses are powering the things that arent working)
Now, you know what circuits are being affected, IF they are all on the same fuse, start at the output of the fusebox and trace the wire THE ENTIRE LENGTH of it. If it means taking out trim, then take it out, you need to visually inspect the wires, and no, looking at the electrical tape doesnt work, you need to check the whole thing, if there's a nick, bump, or any other imperfection, remove the sheath of the wiring harness and look at the wires, if they are intact, keep searching, if not, repair them (message me if you need info on repairing them). Now, Keep an eye on your battery, if there's a short or grounding, there could be a drain put on it, which would be bad because it will keep the charging system from reaching it's full potential. Now, if that's not the case, look at all of the switches and other things on each circuit (if the power seats AND for example, the high beams (this is a completely hypothetical situation) Inspect the tail lights, the wires to them, and all of the switches they ensue, such as the headlight switch, column switch, fuses, relays, and stuff like that). I'm going to be honest with you, it's going to be a BITCH, but it really beats payin someone else to do it. Now, if i remember correctly, the power seats always have a high 12V line going to them, test that line at the switch, if there's no power for the switch, the device won't work. I'm willing to bet it's all the same problem. Also, see if the fuses are next to each other. If they are, then they could have something to do with it. If something happens to one wire, chances are it will happen to the ones around it.

IF you have any problems/questions, e-mail me, SCustomAuto@rcn.com

Good luck my friend,

P.S. If you dont have these already go out and buy a Multimeter, a pair of wire strippers, and THE BOOK for the car, Either the hayes or Chiltons manual will do just fine, You can get the hayes on Amazon pretty cheap, or at autozone for 15$

Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Im racking my brain here.Recheck all the fuses I remember having this problem many times at the dealer.
I think it could also be a shorted dome light.
OK Once again I'll refer to the Brickboard FAQs

Fuse 5
]
Sound familiar Tech? Your hunch was correct, a shorted dome light module.

Good Hunting,