Need help troubleshooting codes: 2-3-1 and 2-2-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help troubleshooting codes: 2-3-1 and 2-2-1

I have a 1991 240 Base sedan

CEL comes directly after the car is started. If I reset the light while the engine is running, it will come on after a few seconds of driving.

The codes are 2-3-1 and 2-2-1 (on port #2) -- seems to indicate:

Fuel trim (lambda control) too lean or too rich at part load and Fuel trim (lambda control) too lean at part load

I have replaced the O2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter -- which has seemed to make an improvement in performance (imagined or not?) but has not affected the behavior of the CEL -- still comes on.

The car seems to be running pretty good -- but I would like to take care of the problem, whatever it may be.

Anyone have any insight?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is going to sound obvious, but are you certain you have cleared the old codes? To the point where you get a 1-1-1 code and the light DOES go out, at least temporarily? It's a common error that one seldom does twice, but everyone does it the first time. If you are certain the codes are cleared, then I would say take a look at your AMM. Your 91 is most likely LH2.4 injection and uses a 016 AMM. Rather common used for cheap. If you happen to have LH3.1, I think it's a 001 AMM (guessing). Regardless, the LH3.1 AMM is considerably harder to locate used. Before I replaced it, I would first clean it out gently using electronic parts spray or, if on a budget, brake cleaner spray. Don't use carb spray as it is too harsh. Also, examine the pins in the 6 pin connector. They are quite dainty and can get bent and/or pushed back to the point they make no/poor contact. With a digital multi-meter, you can back probe the connector and see if voltage is in line w/ specs.
Keep in mind, a leaky exhaust will play Hell w/ accurate O2 readings. Air gets sucked into the exhaust and the O2 reads it as a lean mixture. Vacuum leaks, if small, will generally be learned around with LH2.4 and the system will compensate. Still, air entering the combustion chamber w/o flowing past the AMM is unmetered air and can cause some running issues.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I did verify that I was resetting the CEL (and getting a 1-1-1)... Light still comes on just a second or two after startup.

It is a LH2.4 -- the AMM looks good -- sprayed some cleaner on it anyway. I did notice the connecter only has 5 wires, but after a little reading it seems like that is normal.

This is a California car, with an EGR valve. I was getting 2-4-1 (Low flow) warnings awhile back, but a new EGR Vacuum Solenoid seems to have fixed that. I can verify that the EGR valve is working by applying vacuum on the lower vacuum hose while the car is running and the engine immediately starts to stall -- which I've read is a proper functionality test for an EGR valve. Would you think these two codes could be related to the EGR at all?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad FPR could also throw such codes, does the return line from the FPR have gas flow at idle. It should, and if not, it could be running real rich.