New 240 Owner with questions (Oh Boy!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 240 Owner with questions (Oh Boy!)

1987 Volvo 240 with B230F and M47 Manual.

Questions:

M47.. found tons of info on swapping this trans into m46 or AW07(?) cars. But have yet to find anything listing what post-1987 models the M47 came in? It seems like I found mention of 200 and 700 series having it? But what year range's should I be looking for?

240 or 244?.. Car is listed on the title as a 240. But the badge on the passenger fender well, under the hood. Has 244 stamped in it. So, what say ye?

Engine surging at idle.. How many have had luck cleaning the IAC and throttle body to cure this?

More to come I'm sure but I will wait until my service manual comes in and I have been able to check some things before I go asking to stupid questions lol

thanks for ya'lls knowledge!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey good morning...not sure what your asking on question 1 so I'll skip to 2 .
2. You have a 240 but its a sedan so they call it a 244 if it were a wagon it would be a 245.
First thing I would do would be to check if there is a check engine light coming on. If you post the correct info here you would be surprised at the vast amount of knowledge and help you can get.

You will also find a very large amount of info on these older volvos online, but I'll be honest with you don't over fill your coffee there is not that much to have to learn..These old volvo are cheap and easy to repair..there is not much to them.

I just got me a 1990 245 with a m47 Transmission and I have pretty much rebuilt the car (have yet to drive it) From day 1 I started tearing into this car tossing away old parts and putting new ones in. My plan is to rebuild it back to (like newish) condition and drive the hell out of it. check it out Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - John Arsenault's Album: My 240 Project

Oh by the way do you know what lamda sond is?

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Tom,

I'm new to the 240's as well as I just purchased a 90 240 about 45 days ago. The idle was at a very low RPM and would stall sometimes when coming to a stop. I highly suggest cleaning the throttle body. It's super easy and all you need is throttle body cleaner and the throttle body gasket.

Link that I found useful for cleaning 240 throttle body

Couple other notes -
This forum is great for research and feedback is very helpful.
I have been using IPD for parts and very happy with them.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:36 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

lambda sond is Volvos name for the oxygen sensor feedback loop. they were the first manufacturer to adopt them.

the M47 is the 5-speed manual found on various non-turbo 240, 740, 940 from the mid 80s forward. turbos never got them as they are considered too weak to handle the turbo's torque, instead they used the stronger M46 4-speed w/ overdrive.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by John Arsenault
Hey good morning...not sure what your asking on question 1 so I'll skip to 2 .
2. You have a 240 but its a sedan so they call it a 244 if it were a wagon it would be a 245.
First thing I would do would be to check if there is a check engine light coming on. If you post the correct info here you would be surprised at the vast amount of knowledge and help you can get.

You will also find a very large amount of info on these older volvos online, but I'll be honest with you don't over fill your coffee there is not that much to have to learn..These old volvo are cheap and easy to repair..there is not much to them.

I just got me a 1990 245 with a m47 Transmission and I have pretty much rebuilt the car (have yet to drive it) From day 1 I started tearing into this car tossing away old parts and putting new ones in. My plan is to rebuild it back to (like newish) condition and drive the hell out of it. check it out Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum - John Arsenault's Album: My 240 Project

Oh by the way do you know what lamda sond is?

Wow your Wagon looks awesome! Its good to see a 240 done up so nice instead of abused and dumped. But thank you for clearing up the 244 thing, I always thought a 244 was a special model! lol

I do have a service engine light on but it comes and goes with no change to the drivability. Heck it seems to go out sometimes when I apply the brakes haha But that brings up a good question. Willing a run of the mill OBD scanner work on these cars?

As I'm starting to wonder around and learn search key words this forum is becoming a great tool in my quest for learning the in's and out's of my new car.

Tox,

Thanks for the video! Just got a TB gasket from O'reiliys so will probably clean mine during lunch tomorrow along with the IAC

Pierce,

Thanks for the M47 info, my search for a spare trans has be broadened a whole lot! lol

As to the Lambda Sond, I am not familiar with the Volvos version but I am a Diesel Service Tech and Kenworth has adopted a new engine called the PACCAR MX-13. It has a Lambda sensor and instead of o2 sensors it has NOx sensors. From what I'm reading about Volvos is the systems operate in a very similar fashion. Seems like my switch to Volvo was meant to be!! lol

Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
no mo volvo

a 1987 doesn't have a check engine light, that was added in 1989 (turbos in 1990) when they switched from LH2.2 to LH2.4 fuel injection, and added the OBD-1 diagnostic code reader. the cars that do have OBD-1 do not need any external OBD reader, those are only for 1996+ OBD-II cars, which doesn't include any 240/740/940 ... the OBD-1 system has a little box under the hood with a LED and pushbutton and a jumper, you put the jumper in socket #2 and read the fuel injection codes, then you put it in #6 and read the ignition codes.

Oxygen sensors as implemented on bosch LH injection serve to 'trim' the fuel-air mixture by monitoring the exhaust gasses before the catalyst. too much free oxygen in the exhaust gasses and they richen the mixture, too little, and they lean it out. if the oxy sensor is broken or offline for some reason, the system goes into fallback mode where it runs rich, which is safer for the engine but less fuel efficient.

the LH injection system is pretty simple. the primary input to the fuel computer ("ECU") is the MAF aka AMM (Mass Air Flow meter aka Air Mass Meter), this tells the computer how much air is going into the engine, and it uses that to know how much fuel to inject. LH2.2 cars use a hall sensor in the distributor to provide timing pulses, while LH2.4 cars have a 'crankshaft position sensor' (CPS) that reads notches around the flywheel, which tell it not only how fast the engine is turning, but what exact angle its at for any given moment... either of these two timing sources goes to the ICU (Ignition Control Unit) first, the ICU passes it on to the ECU.

secondary inputs to the ECU and ICU are the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT), which tells it how warm the engine is so it can richen the mixture and retard the timing when its cold, also there's an idle switch on the throttle which enables the idle regulator circuit (monitors RPMs and pulses the idle air controller (IAC) to keep the idle RPMs around 700 (or 1000 if the engine is very cold)).

Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM

As for question # 1, the 240s came with the m47 from 1987-93. the M46 is available in most 740s and 86- 240s, although some of the earlier 240s came with the m45 (4 speed w/o OD). I have seen an early 90s 740 turbo with an m47 in the junkyard before.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM
no mo volvo

I wonder if that turbo 740 w/ the M47 was a transplant, some fool thinking the 5-speed was better than the 4+OD

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
I wonder if that turbo 740 w/ the M47 was a transplant, some fool thinking the 5-speed was better than the 4+OD
Surprisingly I dont think so. It was a very clean wagon with some minor front end damage. The car was completely untouched mechanically and didn't look . Like a swap. I grabbed the shifter because I needed one and the boot was properly installed and reverse lights were hooked up. .. both uncommon with a swap. Looked like a granny volvo