new handbrake shoes too small for 740

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new handbrake shoes too small for 740

Hi
I just bought a set of brake shoes for a 1990 740 and both I and the guy at the brake parts place agreed that the new ones (re-bonded) actually looked like they had less meat on them than the old ones. (Should have measured them with vernier callipers first). Anyway I finally replaced one side with the new shoes and, sure enough, I had to tighten the handbrake cable significantly (about 1/2") on its rear console adjustment. The braking power is still really unsatisfactory - won't hold the car on any kind of slope.

I had previously fixed the cable when it snapped at the press-fit joint in the handbrake console. (Nobody seems to keep new or second-hand replacement cables). I was quite surprised when the steel strands of the cable actually took to soldering with a good flow after applying some flux. I made sure it couldn't pull back through by creating a sort of fuzzy bent-strand head saturated with solder on the end of the cable fitting - seems to be OK - nobody can break it using their full strength on the handbrake lever. The only thing is the cable is now about an inch shorter, but still well within its operating range.

Anyway for some strange reason after shortening the cable (and re-assembling the handbrake ratchet lever in its console) there is no braking power - with or without the new shoes which actually weren't as good as the old ones.

I've got two queries: 1. how come there's less braking power (all the cables are free to move well past their limits - I checked that), and 2. is it possible to get new shoes that are the right size, and could the problem be that the 740 model has a variety of shoe sizes?

Thanks guys and Cheers

Old 01-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Please post questions about your car under the cars section and not in New Member. Could be why no one has jumped in yet. Moved to proper section.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

my parts catalog says the parking brake shoes are 271997... I'm pretty sure these fit a bajillion models of RWD volvos, although later model 940's came with non-asbestos 1330310 but they are supposed to be interchangable. Question, did you get real volvo brake shoes, or some kind of after market shoes?

there is an adjuster IN the parking brake assembly. did you adjust that according to the docs? some tips here, Brakes: