new to site and volvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to site and volvo

Hello everyone I just bought me a 1991 volvo 240 2.3L non turbo. the car has 233k on it but runs great and lookes great for the year. I have a few questions first the gas guage does not work now do I have to replace the hole cluster or can i just pull the gas guage froma junk yard car? If i do can any one tell me what the quarts part of the cluster is for and are there any other volvo guage clusters that will fit this car. Second the hood release does not work properly the hood will not latch and lock dont think the cable is broke when i pull the release you can hear it click and the release handle goes back to orignal positon and does anyone have a repaire manual download for this car. i would like to know how much oil the 2.3 holds, how much transmission fluid it holds. and if anyone knows of common problems with this cars let me know thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beastro
Hello everyone I just bought me a 1991 volvo 240 2.3L non turbo. the car has 233k on it but runs great and lookes great for the year. I have a few questions first the gas guage does not work now do I have to replace the hole cluster or can i just pull the gas guage froma junk yard car? If i do can any one tell me what the quarts part of the cluster is for and are there any other volvo guage clusters that will fit this car. Second the hood release does not work properly the hood will not latch and lock dont think the cable is broke when i pull the release you can hear it click and the release handle goes back to orignal positon and does anyone have a repaire manual download for this car. i would like to know how much oil the 2.3 holds, how much transmission fluid it holds. and if anyone knows of common problems with this cars let me know thanks.
Welcome to the site and good luck with the car. As to the gas gage you need to see if it is the sending unit in the tank or is it the gage itself. To test the tank unit you need to unplug the plug at the tank and with the ign key on touch the wire to a ground for a second or less. If the gage starts or goes to full then it is good and the unit in the tank needs replacement. If the gage you should be able to get one from a salvage yard. With the hood make sure you lubricate the latch and work it a few times. Make sure the cable is tight , it may have stretched. If it is the latch itself then once again the salvage yard. The engine takes a little more then 4 qts of oil with filter change. Drain it , fill it with 4 qts and start it up. Shut it down wait and top as necessary. I don't recall off hand the transmission fluid but if you do a change and purge you would need about 6-7 qts. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post