New starter motor - klick-klick-klick

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New starter motor - klick-klick-klick

My 86 240 wouldn't start yesterday. The starter just clicked. I pushed it to a start, and drove it home and changed the starter for a new one. Still it just click!
I do not understand this. It must get power from the ignition-key since the solenoid kicks in? What else does it need? Confused!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Maybe a loose wire somewhere so the starter isn't getting enough power? Or is your battery just bad?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cwazywazy
Maybe a loose wire somewhere so the starter isn't getting enough power? Or is your battery just bad?
Thanx for your response Cwazywazy! I have changed the most suspicious wires. Battery is good, and I even tried jumper cables just to eliminate.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:24 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

May be the new starter is bad too. It happens.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try applying +12 volts directly to the starter, if it spins, your issue is between the key and the relay most likely. If it does not spin, then your issue is the starter.

As a side note, your Cooling fan relay, and starter relay are identical parts. If you swap them and your fan stops but your starter turns you found the issue as a clicking relay isn't necessarily a good relay.

Last edited by Nichals; 07-08-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually if the solenoid is clicking it means is not strong enough to push the starter gear into the flywheel . Part of this is also to make contact between the +12V wire from the battery to the starter motor. So if is the solenoid then it is either not getting enough voltage or it is bad. If not enough voltage then there is a problem between the ign. switch to the solenoid. Did you bench test the new (and the old) starter to see if it worked. You may have a problem with the flywheel which will not let the starter gear engage so the high voltage in the starter doesn't make contact. So you can either hot wire the starter or remove it and bench test it.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nichals
try applying +12 volts directly to the starter, if it spins, your issue is between the key and the relay most likely. If it does not spin, then your issue is the starter.

As a side note, your Cooling fan relay, and starter relay are identical parts. If you swap them and your fan stops but your starter turns you found the issue as a clicking relay isn't necessarily a good relay.
Thank you Nichlas! Tried your top about applying 12V directly. It doesn't change the spymptoms. Still just clicks. Then tried the old starter in a bench, and it worked there, but not in the car!
Originally Posted by jagtoes
Usually if the solenoid is clicking it means is not strong enough to push the starter gear into the flywheel . Part of this is also to make contact between the +12V wire from the battery to the starter motor. So if is the solenoid then it is either not getting enough voltage or it is bad. If not enough voltage then there is a problem between the ign. switch to the solenoid. Did you bench test the new (and the old) starter to see if it worked. You may have a problem with the flywheel which will not let the starter gear engage so the high voltage in the starter doesn't make contact. So you can either hot wire the starter or remove it and bench test it.
Thank you jagtoes! I think you are right about the flywheel.. Tested my old starter outside the car by extending the wires that goes to the starter. It worked outside the car, but not in it! Now I am not very tempted at changing the flywheel... Is there any other way around this?

Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Default Flywheel

Originally Posted by Nichals

Thank you Nichlas! Tried your top about applying 12V directly. It doesn't change the spymptoms. Still just clicks. Then tried the old starter in a bench, and it worked there, but not in the car!
Originally Posted by jagtoes
Thank you jagtoes! I think you are right about the flywheel.. Tested my old starter outside the car by extending the wires that goes to the starter. It worked outside the car, but not in it! Now I am not very tempted at changing the flywheel... Does it have to be changed or Is there any other way around this? I couldn't notice any abnormal vibrations when I jumpstarted the car.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Thanks for help everyone! Problem is solved. Turned out to be the ring gear on the flywheel that was bad. New flywheel - problem solved!