No power...surging wastegate or sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No power...surging wastegate or sensor??

second time happening this week....lastnight was about to enter the freeway when i was trying to accelerate my car would not make any power or speed..would seem not to move any faster than 30mph and the turbo was boosting fine it seemed. pulled over and tried checking the wires and such but were way too hot to check accurately. so i turned the car off for a sec and started it back up and drove away, ran fine all of a sudden...im thinking it might be an o2 sensor or maybe the wasteate is getting stuck open and creating leakage. also, the first time this happened, i had just got on the freeway and it was being real sluggish and hesitant at low end, then i would accelerate at top end it seemed to run fine, just at cruising speeds it seemed real doggy. this happen to anybody else before?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason it runs fine at WOT is turbo cars don't use the sensor input; it runs off the fuel maps stored in the ecu...essentially throwing all the fuel the motor could possibly use. Doesn't sound like the wastegate. O2 sensors can masquerade as all sorts of issues but this sounds like maybe the AMM and/or charge air leaks so I'd check my i/c hoses. What year is your car? If it has a T3 turbo, the cbv hose often can spring a leak...that particular hose is often ignored.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the hose from air filter box to turbo. When they get old, they go soft and can get sucked closed under heavy boost.
Also check the air filter side of the AFM, foam insulation can fall off the airbox lid and block the mesh.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM

yes i was going to check for leaks next in the ic hoses...its a 1985. i checked the boost controller hoses, the compressor and all around the exhaust for leaks or cracks as well, nothing visible that i can see. i had even changed the spark plugs once a few days ago when it first did it thinking they were fouled up and such. ya i mean it kinda feels like a hose is getting pinched shut or something of that nature..it wasnt really hesitant, more like it was making power but couldnt put it to the wheels..the turbo was making boost and all but it was just topped out like at 30mph wouldnt move any faster. but any other time city driving, it runs perfect. its just for some reason both times that i hopped on the freeway it did it. could there be a possibility that my plug wires are getting baked? not having good contacts?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two things and they both involve having a buddy to help. First, have a buddy power brake it in reverse while you look at the intake hose from air box to turbo. Those get oil soaked and even though they are intact, they suck shut. BUT...also have him rev the car while you hold your hand near the exhaust. You could very well have a clogged catalytic converter. Now that I think about it, your symptoms do sound like a cat. When it's clogged, increased engine revs won't make much difference in the amount of exhaust flow. If you're not sure, compare it with another car that's running well.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM

wow...that didnt even come to mind about the cat. that could possibly be the problem as well...im going to check that out tomorrow and see what it does with the hose and the cat. hoping its the hose cause its an easier and cheaper fix haha. ill keep u updated on whats up with this thing. thanks!!!!!