Odd Intermittent Stalls!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Intermittent Stalls!

Hello,

Last night my 91 Volvo 240 developed a problem. The basic description:

I turn the key to start the car and hear the click and whirr (starter motor) like normal.

I get to final position of the key and the car starts with a bit of difficulty, but nothing terrible. The car starts running

After a couple of minutes (2-4) of driving, or sitting in neutral (idling or engine slightly revved), the engine starts to waiver.

Sometimes I apply more pressure to the accelerator, and sometimes it recovers for a second or two (sometimes not).

Either way, A few seconds after it starts to falter it stalls. With the engine rotation slowing down to a stop over the span of 1-2 seconds.

If I stop the car and immediately try to restart it either slowly turns over a couple of times, or doesn't do anything.

If I let it set for several hours and come back to it, the same thing happens, starts aright...then stalls in the same manner!

Here's the part that REALLY confuses me:
All instruments on the dash have stopped working - speedometer, odometer engine heat - no readouts at all. But, all other electrical equipment (that I can think of seems to operate fine).

Additional comment:
After engine stops I hear a sound for a couple of seconds like a marble bouncing from the height of a couple of inches (not sure if that is relevant to this issue or unrelated).

The car is operating in very cold weather in Maine.

Suggestions that have been offered so far by friends:
Alternator, Battery, Fuel Pump Relay, Water/Ice in Fuel Line, A Loose Belt, Failed Fuel Pump, Clogged Fuel Filter.

Does anyone know what the problem might be, or know any way of narrowing the list of possibilities?

THANKS!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Default PS

Have checked all fuses in panel. All are intact and seem in decent condition.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 AM

Start by:

Check Volts on battery(volt meter got me a 5 dollar one)
Car off it should read: 12V
Car on it should read: 13 to 14V no less (if car on and reads 12V move to second step)

Battery good: Second step
Check Alternator connections are not loose..OR.."belt tension" wiggle it...they should be tight.
connections are good and belts are tight....take out the voltage regulator on Alternator two screws on back of alternator and pull off the regulator see if the brushes(2 of them) are long and not too short.
These touch a spinning part inside the alternator and if the contact is bad...alternator won't supply power to your volvo...reason the dash might be out...

Step Three:
distributor cap and rotor check...is it time for a tune up? carbon build up? scrap a bit on each connection to remove the build up and the rotor...
spark plugs...check
all check out...

Step four:
test fuel pumps by jumping fuse connector 5 to connector number 7 and see if you hear the whirl from the fuel pump...if you don't hear anything...there you go..running on one pump.
Step four
COLD START INJECTOR
LENGTHY PROCESS...
cold engine:
disconnect injector connection( push away from or tuck it away)
remove the injector screws (2) note the ground wire...
leave fuel line connected
pull "center" wire to the distributor and "ground it" make sure it is touching metal" valve cover etc.
Turn ignition ON and operate fuel pump one minute...in other words let it whirl
THERE MUST BE NO FUEL DRIPPING FROM COLD INJECTOR NOZZLE.
IF SO, THE COLD START INJECTOR IS BAD.
Switch off...part one...depending on your outcome on first test.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 AM

marble bouncing? battery popping maybe...and its telling you that the car is starting on battery power only and your alternator is not supplying any power.....you let the car rest and the battery goes back to 12V...or you fried it already............STICK WITH THE ALTERNATOR.......it happened to me...alternator is done but it may be the voltage regulator only and much cheaper to buying a hole alternator....junk yard part if need be...or new for around 30 plus dollars...