Removing Excess Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Excess Engine Parts

So I'm working on my 1994 940 (NA), doing all tune up stuff just to get it running reliably and I'm trying to figure out what on the engine can be removed and still run properly, for example; cruise control. My cruise control valve thing is already broken in half with the spring hangin out so I'd like to remove that, but it ties into a vacuum line that looks like it goes into another part.
Other things I'd like to remove are the exhaust recirc hose into the intake, but would I need to cap the exhaust manifold end?
If this makes some sense, I'd love some input on what I can and can't remove to get the engine bay cleaned up a bit and remove some un-needed clutter. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

I doubt that Volvo added stuff to your car just for giggles, most probably serves some function or another.
You could remove the cruise control, or you could fix it which is what I'd do... The pre heater house is part of the emissions system and in jurisdictions that care about that sort of thing the car will fail if the hose is missing.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

quite frankly, redblocks are about the most UNCLUTTERED engines made in that era. only thing I've worked on that's simpler is stuff like my 1965 ford pickup with the 240 inline 6 and 3-on-a-tree manual. no power steering. no power brakes. single weak carburetor. cable activated choke. mechanical fuel pump. new cars cover everything up in plastic so you can't see it.

yeah, as lev says, that preheater hose is inspected in any area that does smog inspsections... if you remove it, you don't have to do anything at the exhaust side (its not connected to the exhaust, just to a heat plate), but under your air cleaner, there'sa thermostat controlled air flap, wire that shut.

cruise control was an option, and certainly can be removed if you don't want to fix it. I wish my 1992 745T had it but too much needs to be done to add it (new steering wheel stalk, control unit, vacuum pump, etc etc.. the throttle actuator is driven by a vacuum pump mounted on the side of the suspension tower, which is in turn connected to intake manifold. I would unplug said vacuum pump. it in turn is managed by a control unit under the driver side dashboard somewhere.

pretty much EVERYTHING under the hood has a specific function, be it engine, cooling, air conditioning, heater, windshield washers, lighting, power steering, power brakes...

Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
lev

Come on, Pierce, you can certainly add a Cruise to your 745! I did it to my '92 745--got all the parts for $15 from PNP, and a couple of hours of labor of love, it was all good!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
no mo volvo

is all the harness stuff in place?

my throttle spool doesn't have the cruise cable piece on it, so the whole assembly would have to be swapped. so way I figure it, at a minimum, I'd need the cruise servo, the throttle spool, the vacuum pump/actuator, the cruise control unit, and the steering stalk, and probably some associated mounting brackets. where does the vacuum pump mount, anyways?

I'd also probably have to relocate my stereo crossovers, they are currently stuffed up under the driver side dashboard near the firewall, which is where the cruise control unit lives, I think?

here's my 92 w/o cruise,
http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/1992-...MG_5856-X3.jpg

and a 91 that had cruise...
http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/1991-...MG_5860-X3.jpg

but of course, I'm not seeing the vacuum pump/actuator anywhere in that picture (and that 91 is gone, it was my son's old warwagon 940SE, and we sold it)

Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
lev

It's easy on a '92, it's prewired. You just need to get ALL the parts from a donor from a JY, make a package deal. The car must be '91 or newer 740/940 (exc SE). You need the turn signal, the cruise module, the brake pedal vacuum dump switch, and the vacuum lines. This is all for the inside. For the engine compartment: the throttle spool for the CC, the vacuum pump, and the bellows. And of course the plastic/rubber lines elbows, tee's etc. It's all plug and play, the only adjustment is on the switch that goes on the brake pedal...

Make be you can get BigSlim that started the tread to send you the whole package--he wants to get rid of his CC anyway...

Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM

That's what I was thinking. I can remove most things if I know exactly what parts you would need. Altough not sure what condition mine is in. That cable from the throttle spool to the diaphram is missing on mine, just the spring hanging out. And I believe the steering column switch has tape over the cruise part. But if it's not too much stuff (I don't tend to get much free time till the weekends) I'd be happy to get some of the stuff off I won't be using if it can help someone out.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
no mo volvo

nah, I don't want to mess with anything other than a complete working set. I'd need the whole left steering stalk assembly.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM

No problem. Quick question, would something like this be worth investing in even if my relay panel seems to be ok? Volvo 740 940 Relay and Fuse Panel 1992 Prod Wagon A Treasure Chest of Parts | eBay
I've yet to pull mine to see if the fuel pump relay has been relocated since I don't see it where everyone says it is, but the car runs just fine.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 PM
lev

Slim, why don't you send a picture of this fuse panel of yours? These cars sometimes have problems with shorted fuse panels, and may be somebody elected to rewire the location of the fuel relay due to a burned spot. You'd need to take a closer look at the fuse panel, including looking at it from the bottom. For that you'll have to pull it out a bit but it should be obvious if there was a burn. I mean, you must have that relay somewhere! Changing that panel is a PITA.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM

lol Yeah I'll take a pic in the morning. I still haven't even been able to get my storage tray under the radio out (haven't tried much), but from looking at it I can't see any screws or bolts I've read about to get to the whole relay panel. I was just able to reach my hand through the ash tray spot and feel where the relay "should" be and just feel the slits for the connections. I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM
no mo volvo

the fuse panel has 3 or 4 unused spaces for smaller relays on each side. I could see an enterprising hack replacing the fuel relay with a pair of smaller plain relays stuck in these holes. is there anything there?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM

Can't check now, it's at my shop, but I've briefly checked the spot a couple of times thinking it must have just been rewired and haven't felt anything with my fingers other than an empty spot. I'll get onto that tomorrow. I guess last thing I'm trying to figure out is a part near my exhaust. I have two ~1" pipes coming out from under my exhaust manifold to a couple valves (diaphrams?), then come to one hose that goes over by the intake manifold. In all the videos and pictures I'm seeing of B230F's don't have this (except a couple). When searching for a B230E on the other hand, a majority of the results have this part. Do I just have a different model of engine? And thanks for the quick responses.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 AM
no mo volvo

sounds like pulseair, if this is over the front of the engine. i've got parts diagrams somewhere that show it, but im on a android tablet now.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM

OK pulled the storage tray thing. Here's the relay panel. Don't see any random wires and the top side looks good (other than dust). Any advice on removing the relay panel to check the under side?
Name:  relay2_zps7df123cc.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  211.4 KB
Name:  relay1_zps341d5951.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
lev

Yeah, well, it does look like it's gone! It should be in the spot in front of the red one, by the lack of dust foot print looks like it was there at one time...

Unless this car is highly modified, it should have that relay somewhere! To pull that panel out, the plastic clips is all holding it in, you'd have to just make space, which is not easy since there's a ton of wires in there. You may have to remove some pieces around it, makes it much easier. The idea is to be able to look on the underside for burn marks--the only reason I can think for someone to have relocated the relay... This is a 1994 940 NA, right? Bosch or Regina?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
no mo volvo

do be careful with the big red can, thats your bulb failure detector, its somewhat fragile. all your headlight, taillight circuits go through it, it has counter-wound reed relays that act as current difference detectors.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Sounds like fun. Yeah an 1994 NA 940 with bosch ignition. And would my bulb out light come on if I have no tail lights? Reverse is good, turn signals good, third brake light good, but no tails or regular brake lights. I know one side is missing the whole socket, but i don't have a bulb out lamp on the dash which I did notice in another volvo I test drove.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM
no mo volvo

if both sides are out, the bulb out sensor might not come on, its funny that way.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM

OK, pulled the relay panel and here's what I can get a picture of from underneath. Looks pretty clean to me. Can't really tell if there's even connections inside the holes. And can't get the panel out far enough to thoroughly look under for the pump relay (which just came in the mail today). Any thoughts?Name:  2013-01-24161158_zps7ed816f4.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  2013-01-24161253_zps5a918cf0.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  198.8 KB

Quick Reply: Removing Excess Engine Parts