oh joy, two issues w/ my 92 740T

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default oh joy, two issues w/ my 92 740T

second time this has happened...

on a road trip, heavily loaded, HOT weather, just been driving a few 100 miles on the highway, and pull into a town, coming to a stop light, and significant amount smoke comes out from under my hood. smell of smoking hot oil, but not actually acrid burnt oil. last time this happened (in June), it was apparently in the vicinity of the oil seperator box (eg, under the intake manifold). this most recent time (last week), I just kept going, a few miles of stop and go through town, back on the highway another 25 miles to my destination, and no more smoke.

well, just a couple weeks before this recent trip, I had my mechanic swap the oil seperator box, along with all the associated hosing and fittings, as he was already in there doing something else. He said the original box was pretty flugged up, but still intact.

One observation I made after changing the engine oil a few months back... idling the warmed up engine, and loosening the oil cap, it seemed to chatter rather more than I thought it should, and not really 'suck' down.... almost so much chatter that the cap wouldn't sit in place. btw, both these trips combined, and all my regular driving in between, probably 3000 miles total, I've used less than 1/2 quart of oil total.

2nd problem, again on this latest trip... We hit massive stop-n-go traffic for miles and miles and miles in HOT weather (like 100F hot)... car was VERY loaded (roof box, hybrid bicycle on roof rack, plus fully packed interior cargo, with 3 of us jammed in). creeping along the freeway up and over the Sunol Grade, and also through Sacramento, if the tranny did a 1-2 shift at very light throttle (like just crawling), it was shifting with a harsh sharp CLUNK! rather than its usual smooth self. if I gave it some throttle, it was fine. later on, cooled down, it was also fine.

I got home last night, had no shifting problems going home (riding solo, and with only about 70% of the stuff I had going up), and this AM pulled the ATF dip stick, the fluid I'd put in last spring was light brown and only slightly smoky smelling, not a really burnt smell... I'd done a full flush using Castrol Multi-Import ATF, which is good stuff for Toyota transmissions (the AW70/71 is actually a Toyota slushbox)

so.... do I need to be worried about my gearbox? maybe I need an additional tranny cooler for these heavy loaded hot runs?