Older Volvo 240 Radios, speakers, and mystery wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Older Volvo 240 Radios, speakers, and mystery wires?

I think I've got this worded the way I want it.

Questions:

So I've heard that there is some sort of amplifier or w/e that the radios use. Do the older 240's radios not have one or are they built in to the radio? I mean mine came from the factory without a radio. And I bought an stock radio pulled from a different 1982 240 - same year as my car. I can't find any sort of box or w/e behind the console, other than an unconnected 3x3 white connector to the left side of the center console. I found the speaker wires in it. Can anyone tell me what the other wires in that white 3x3 connector go to?

So I'm curious if the older ones had an amp and I'm missing it or if they were built into the radio itself, or if I even need an amp in the first place and can do without one? There were only wires 6 from the back of the radio - they were the 12V+cont wire, the grounding wire, the 4 audio wires - 2 wires for the front left, and 2 wires for the front right.

I only have the positve wires hooked up to the speakers and not the negative ones, and I still have sound from them without the negative wires hooked up.

If one was buying the car new back in 1982, what would that person ask for if he wanted to receive the center speaker instead of just the cut out with the cover over it? I would also like to know what the purpose of the center speaker was for? Was it for some other function of the radio or like what sort of speaker was it? Was it a more powerful speaker or just a bigger oval speaker being a 4 ohmn/20 watt too?

Just to let you guys know it's a combo radio - a '1982 Volvo AM/FM/CB radio'.

Was the center speaker used for the CB? I love the CB function of it and use it whenever I go on the road. But I tend to get some feedback if I don't hold the microphone the right way. I'm also wondering if installing the center speaker would get rid of that pesky feedback? I've got 2 more of the older Volvo AM/FM/CB combo radios on the way.

I'm thinking about rewiring my current setup, such that I would be splitting the radio audio channel to play both right and left speakers, while the other channel plays for the center speaker only - which would be radio, both radio/cb(that would be the standby setting), and only CB, depending which of the 3 settings I had the switch on the radio set to - Therefore allowing me to just leave it on standby all the time. Is this an okay idea or should I just leave it the way I've got it hooked up already?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure the 240 ever had a dash speaker. That dash was used on the last 2 years of the 140 and I think it's just a hold over. As for connections, you'll need a test light. It's been awhile but I believe the six connector plug has the ground and power plus connections for the 2 front speakers. Great score on the combo radio!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 AM

Ah ha - Oh yeah, I know right? And thanks. I was just talking to the guy whose house I was at, looking through his 240 stuff, when I asked him if he had any radios for a 240. He said he had one that he had given to a friend who was gonna try and sell it on ebay for him. I asked him what kind was it, and he said it was an AM/FM/CB radio pulled from another '82 Volvo. He said he would like $50, I asked if he'd take $45 for it and I became the new owner? I cut the back of the Kenwood wires, threw it, and then smashed it. I installed the awesome '82 radio and was on my way....or so I thought. No sound, so I spent the next few days figuring out what I had done wrong. I walked over to my other car, a '91 244, pulled out a speaker, put the audio wires straight to it and I got music. I pulled the other one and switched it. So I learned I had 2 bad speakers. I replaced them with the same size ones from my '91 and was living the high life.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 AM

Oh, what's the radio suppression relay? And what is it's function and where would it be? What's it look like?