over heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heat

82 245 glc. new radiator,t stat, water pump. still runs damn near the red line. any thoughts?
thanks
Rob

Old 09-14-2003, 01:49 AM
Default over heat

hey man i got the same problem sorta i over heated today, check out my post. so i guess for me changing all that stuff might not help</P>

Old 09-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Default over heat

Have either of you checked that the cooling fan is operating properly or that the shroud around the fan is in place if equipped. The shroud can make a very big difference it someone has removed it and you are suppoesed to have one. I don't know if your model would have an eletric fan but if so I would have a look at it.They usually run on an electricthermostat. You could have a fuse gone or a relay needing replacement. <edited><editID>Rob P</editID><editDate>37878.906087963</editDate></edited>

Old 09-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Default over heat

Head gasket? This would cause major overheating. If the head gasket is starting to go but has not entirely blown yet, compression gasses will be getting into the cooling system and forcing coolant out of your overflow. This coolant loss obviously results in overheating. Check your coolant level. If every few days or every day it has gone down even after you've refilled it, this could be your problem. Some other signs of a mildly blown head gasket: Unscrew yoru oil filler cap and look at the inside of it. If you see some light brownish goo that looks like chocolate milkshake, that's a sign of a BHG. Check your compression if you are able. You can buy a kit for $50, called a "sniffer", that has a chemical that changes color if you have a BHG. Most radiator shops have these sniffers and will do it for you for a fee.</P>

Check these things out. And you probably know this already, but don't let your temperature get even 3/4 of the way up the gauge, and to help the car when it is hot, turn your heater on high and select fresh air. You probably knew that already. </P>

Good luck!</P>

Old 04-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Default over heat

The first summer i had my 91 240, it started to overheat and it got progressively worse. My electric fan was working and everything else checked out, includng coolant level. All I did, was flush the system and change the coolant and from there on in, my car never overheated. Sometimes it just takes a simple coolant flush and coolant change. If this doesnt work, then you have the benefit on not having lost a big investment on parts that come to find out arent giving you trouble.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Default over heat

Suggest you take your thermostat out and check it in boiling water.It should fully open after a few moments. I had the same problem when I put a winter stat from
Volvo in my 240 B23E. It ended up blowing the antifreeze out twice. Turns out the stat was not opening at all. It ended up blowing the head gasket which resulted in the antifreeze going into the oil. Engine had been in good shape mechanically previous. I am now in the process of rebuilding same. Luckily, I was using Cat Extended life antifreeze in the system. Crank was not hurt, but requires bearing replacement. Am also going to do the rings. Bore is excellent.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:45 AM
Default over heat

man those heat thermostats can lie about 90 percent of the time.....especially if it's an older model. check to make sure it's accurate.