PCV breather box hose stuck in block on '93 940 turbo B230FT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV breather box hose stuck in block on '93 940 turbo B230FT

My 18 year old son has a 1993 940 turbo wagon with 224K miles. We purchased the breather box from IPD and they recommended replacing the rubber hose that goes from the breather box down into the engine block to the oil pan. We removed the breather box with no problems (thanks to those who posted good instructions allowing me to avoid removing the intake manifold). But when we tried to remove the rubber hose, it is brittle and stiff and broke apart. We got the top 1.5 inches of the hose out but the rest of it is stuck in the block. We've spent the last two hours trying to remove it but it seems caught where there is a slight bend in the hose at about 2"' from the top. Because it is hard an brittle, there's no amount of wiggling or manipulating to get it out.

So my question is, can I cut off my new hose at about 1.5 inches and put it in the hole and hope the old and new hose connect enough to allow oil to flow through as designed? Or does this hose need to be sealed from the breather box to the oil pan? I'm not sure what function this hose serves? It seems like gravity would be sufficient to carry the oil from the oil separator box back into the block where it belongs. Is there a reason the oil needs to flow through this hose all the way to the oil pan?

I'm trying to get this car on the road by this evening. Otherwise, my son will be taking his girlfriend out in my car tonight which neither of us prefers.

Any info is appreciated.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, if you haven't deduced already, unfortunately it's not coming out through the opening. Your best bet is to lift the engine off the mounts so that you can remove the oil pan to expose the tube, but then the oil pump pickup tends to get in the way of oil pan removal (it will be more like drop slightly and get your hand in there. If you do that, get the three-piece oil pan gasket.
So (not professional advice) you could take your chances and let it get macerated by the crankshaft and retrieve it in many small bits during the next oil change if you are really in a hurry. Of course any foreign material in the crankcase has the potential to harm the bearings, clog the pickup or get wedged in the seals.
There are plenty of discussion threads about this repair conundrum, but no easy answers, unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in replying. In another thread someone commented that the hose in question is secured at the bottom in the oil pan. Based on that, we assumed the remaining part of the old hose wouldn't come loose and fall into the crank and cause issues. So we did as I suggested and cut the new hose at 1.5 inches and inserted in the hole. So far, the PCV system seems to be working fine after about 100 miles of driving. So far, no air or oil coming out of the dipstick tube and the oil is no longer leaking from the oil filler cap.

I'll be looking closely for debris in my next oil change and will update this post if I see anything.

The following users liked this post:
admasters (02-17-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdeichho@gmail.com
Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in replying. In another thread someone commented that the hose in question is secured at the bottom in the oil pan. Based on that, we assumed the remaining part of the old hose wouldn't come loose and fall into the crank and cause issues. So we did as I suggested and cut the new hose at 1.5 inches and inserted in the hole. So far, the PCV system seems to be working fine after about 100 miles of driving. So far, no air or oil coming out of the dipstick tube and the oil is no longer leaking from the oil filler cap.

I'll be looking closely for debris in my next oil change and will update this post if I see anything.
Please keep this thread updated......

Old 03-11-2021, 08:59 AM

600 miles and a 10 hour round trip on the highway and still no oil coming out of the oil cap or the dip stick tube. a slow leak out of my front cam seal even seems to have slowed down a little but maybe that's wishful thinking.

So I think we're good. I'll post again if I see any debris in the next oil change. That could be a while since it's not a daily driver.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:17 AM
lev
Received 135 Likes on 125 Posts

If the breather system is cleared up, all oil leaks slow down, may even disappear--less pressure to blow things out.
So, good result overall!