Are "performance" spark plug cables worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are "performance" ignition components worth it?

So, I will be replacing the plugs, plug wires, and maybe even the ignition coil on my 1993 240 wagon. I am trying to figure out if it will be worth it to go with "performance" parts.

Ignition Coil:
Would something like this be worth the extra money, or should I just go with a standard Bosch? Do I really want to look for something with the lowest internal resistance for the secondary coil, or is that just hype?

Plug Wires:
I have done some searching around the forum and found that many prefer the Bougicord brand wires, such as these here over the Volvo of Bosch cables.

However, I have also found some "performance" cables at IPD for $25 more. Do you think they are worth it?

Plugs:
Finally, I have seen some pretty fancy or quite different spark-plug designs. Are these worth it at all? I've read that the NGK Platinums have higher internal resistance and thus need a more powerful ignition coil. What do you think of the E3 plugs? Then there are the BOSCH PLATINUM+4 SPARK PLUGS.

I'm willing to spend a little extra money. I do kinda want to shoot for the best efficiency and longest life I can get. The way I see it, I am still way ahead of if I had bought a new (or even newer) car.

Last edited by GrantRobertson; 06-18-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: More info, broader question.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the ignition coil, I would use the original Bosch. You are not going to gain anything by using another brand/type.

For the spark plug wires, I would use the original Bougicord. They are good quality and you will not gain anything by using another brand/type.

For the spark plugs, I would use the solid copper core type. Its what generally works best with Volvo redblocks.

These engines don't really gain anything when after market parts are used. If you want to see a performance increase than you would have to do major modifications like different pistons and/or heads.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Totally agree!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the generic parts that Bosch sells via the retail autoparts trade these days are total junk. The only Bosch stuff I'll use are the OE parts like distributor caps, rotors.

I second the emotion on copper plugs. I try and use the real Volvo plugs, or the Bosch or NGK equivalents. And yeah, Bougicord, all the way, for Volvos.

I haven't had an Ignition coil go bad on any of my cars in a long long time. last one was on a 1966 VW Squareback that had a cracked top on the coil from previous owner abuse and I could see sparks dancing around the coil lid in the dark (car still ran just fine with this but my stereo didn't like it).

Last edited by pierce; 06-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I've never had a bosch coil go bad on any of my cars. My '55 VW Beetle still has its original.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So, what about this???

From what I am reading here and elsewhere: It is best to stick with the plain copper plugs because copper conducts better than the high-priced, plated plugs. The fancy ones last longer but not long enough to make up for the inflated price, especially if you can get to them easily as I can on my 1993 240.

I have also read that low resistance cables can cause more radio interference. I'm mostly concerned about interference with my Bluetooth headset, but RFI is RFI.

However, I have also read that gapping the plugs .010 wider than spec will give you a bigger spark and burn the fuel more efficiently.

That then means one would likely need a higher voltage coil, like the one I linked to in my original post.

That then means one would likely need plug wires that can handle that higher voltage.

So, I am thinking about getting a new, higher-voltage coil, standard plugs and the Bougicord cables, if you think the Bougicord cables can handle the 45000 volt output of that coil.

Thanks