Piston Replacement Parts Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Replacement Parts Help

Hey everyone. I need to replace just the front piston on my B230FT engine. I'm buying all the gaskets and such online and wanted some help here to make sure I get everything the first time.

all from rockauto.com
Oil pan gasket - FEL-PRO Part # OS21574D Set
Cylinder Head gasket set- BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0322729
cylinder head bolt set - BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0161003

I'm buying a used piston with rings to replace the bad one. Can I reuse the rod bearings? Everything else but this one piston is in pretty primo shape. Are there other gaskets inside the oil pan that require replacement? Thanks for the help with this huge (for me) project.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Well, for a job such as this you will NEVER get "everything the first time".... It will always require many trips to the parts/tool store, at least in my experience...

This is a HUGE undertaking, and if you have never tackled bottom end work successfully before, I'd think carefully... How do you know that you need one piston? Is the engine apart already? In the end you might as well do a total rebuild.

I am sure you have many miles on the motor, and many parts would have to be evaluated for replacement once you are in there to make sure you achieve some lasting results as I am sure you want this effort to be worth it over the long haul. You'd not know what you got until you are in there!

As far as what you got so far, I personally don't change the head bolts unless they are overstretched (why discard Volvo bolts for some most likely oriental made Beck Arnley? I wouldn't use Beck head gasket either, THAT is an important part! The oil pan gasket is no big deal, any brand will do.