power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak

Hi all

Hopefully someone here can give a bit of advice on an issue that arose over the weekend.

Returned to my '84 240 GL after an hour to find power steering fluid had leaked in a major way from the drivers side. The rubber boot over the rack had a tear in it, and had become filled with steering fluid.

As I did not have my manual with me at the time, it did not hit me that there should not have been fluid inside the boot. I patched the boot up, refilled the steering fluid tank and drove 300km home. The tank is still half full, and one end of the rubber boot became disconnected as a result of my patch job. It does not seem to be leaking now, and certainly not as it did on the weekend.

I have seen elsewhere that this could be a leaking seal and that this could have very nasty consequences such as the steering getting locked left or right suddenly. This has me a little concerned and feeling very lucky after a long drive through twisty mountain roads.

Anyone have any ideas as to why all the fluid would suddenly drain in this way, and then not do it again over the next 24 hours? Also, if it is the seal, can this be replaced or would the rack need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody got a clue about this? The thing that really has me confused is that all the steering fluid leaked in a period of about 45 minutes, but since refilling it there has been no leak?????