power sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power sunroof

Just bought used 93 940 turbo and in the manual it says if you depress button forward the roof slides open and if you depress it down it closes. Well when i depress button up all that happens is a vent on the back of the sunroof open bout 2 inches and when i depress button down it closes. No sliding of whole panel as manual suggests.. Is it possible i only have moon roof or is there something wrong...signed...Confused

Old 10-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have crap in the way of the sunroof's movement. Removal and cleaning is what I would do. To remove it I think you need to slide it most of the way back, so you 2" probably wont cut it. I would open it up as far as it goes and the drop the motor (which you have to do anyway to remove it. I think that there are six screws (maybe 4) that hold the track to the ceiling. You get to them by sliding the roof back and you can see them from the top. Before taking them out you may as well check to see how easy it is to move without the motor engaged to the cables. If it moves easy I would think that something is the matter with the cables or the motor. If it binds, them you may have fun easing it back. Be careful not to damage it and remember the headliner on the underside. Once all the screws are out, slide the whole unit out. When you reassemble watch the cable alignment, You may have to install the motor, find the fully closed position, drop the motor, reset it to the motor's closed position and install and everything should be lined up again.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:08 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

the way its supposed to work...

'up' opens the back, 'down' closes it again. 'down' AGAIN (or down without first going 'up') should cause the roof to slide back. if the roof is slid back, then 'up' should close it. up again lifts, repeat til bored.

if the roof doesn't slide back if you press/hold down repeatedly, then something is fubar indeed, and yes, you'll need to remove the roof, which is a pain if it wont slide back. the motor is right there above the mirror, and drives a worm gear, which pulls cables that work the mechanism.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

First thing I'd do is take off the cover plate, unscrew two small torx screws, then use a screwdriver to manually move the roof through its motions, clockwise then anticlockwise. If it works going up and down then sliding back, then may be the switch is all you need--they go bad... At any rate, I'd take it apart and lube and adjust everything. These roofs are pretty great, rarely much goes wrong with the cables or motor...
With the roof in the UP position, from the outside, push down on the liner shield, unclip the two spring loaded hooks using a hook type tool, the liner will drop. Push it back into the space between the roof of the car and the headliner, it may take some effort to disengage from the front. Then all of the roof will be revealed and you can adjust, lube, etc. the roofs should be "tuned up" every now and then, they get sticky from lack of use, dirt, etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks Pierce... I will try this step first because thats not what i have been doing..lol.. If that doesnt work then ill try the other steps...I got upset thinking no-=one was replying cause it says i have no replys..but alas i never thought of clicking on my link again..tired when i get home and sometimes dont think..lol anyway thanks for reply and will get back to you on progress...Joeyfv

Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Is this the same setup as a 1994 940 wagon? I'm having the same issues, goes up to vent, closes, but when pressed to slide back only the passenger rear corner of the roof tries to drop down. I want to press to help it go dow but don't want to damage anything or get it stuck.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

yeah, same sunroof.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks Pierce. That worked. Am psyched. Feel a little stupid though...lol