Pulling a drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling a drivetrain

250 and it's mine! Everything to switch a 240 to manual. I'm going to pull everything I need to swap it. Obvious items: transmission, drive shaft, rear end, clutch and brake pedal, clutch cable and the flywheel. I got two questions:

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

What will be the challenges?

The only one I can think of is getting the flywheel off. I got a 2 foot breaker bar, but I need to hold the engine still. I might go for the rope trick, but I'm up for ideas. I only have up the 19mm sockets besides a 22mm, 24mm and 32mm. Any advise would be great. I'll be at the junk yard hopefully on Monday. They'll flip the car on a side for me.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

You don't need the rear end, except if you change the ratio too.
Flywheel comes out easy, no need to hold the crank, the bolts holding it are not that big.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Yay! I wasn't even hoping for that answer about the flywheel. I am planning on changing the rear end ratio too. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the speedometers come in several different versions, with different pulses per mile per hour. maybe its just ABS and non-ABS, I dunno for sure, but 240 sedans and wagons had different tire sizes, as did the 740 turbo models which came with 16" wheels. I upgraded my 740T wagon from 15" to 16", and my speedo now reads about 3 MPH slow at 65MPH, before it was basically right on when compared with a GPS.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Today I pulled most of it. I got the transmission, clutch, pedal and drive shaft. They are keeping it for me to pull the rear end, the brake pedal and pedal carrier on Friday. For doing it all by myself with just hand tools and 2 hours of work before they closed I was happy with just getting the transmission on the ground.

This transmission has and iron housing. The clutch looked to still have good life in it. The odometer read 280k, so not bad. It was a Sachs brand so there's a chance it's original. I had no impact tools besides a small bludgeon hammer. This worked well with the Allen wrenches on the clutch. The last flywheel bolt was tough but a very lightly clamped vise grip on the flywheel where the starter goes did the trick.

The thing that I wish I had removed earlier was the shift lever in the interior. That had a spring pin and rubber. Twisting with a vise grip did the trick. so far, so good. I think I have most of the hard stuff out of the way.

I didn't even think about the speedo stuff besides looking for the pickup. There's a cable speedometer and a pickup on the diff. I'll find out what I need to do to get it all to work on tear-down I suppose.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you: are you pulling this from a Sedan or a Wagon? Also... if you could check the speedometer, and see what number it says (9800 or 10042 or other?)--it may also say nothing. But if it does say something, this information could prove useful.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 AM
no mo volvo

if you're pulling a manual with separate overdrive (eg, M46 rather than an M47 5-speed) do be sure to get the OD control relay that is probably tucked up behind the center console and probably accessible after removing the glovebox, along with whatever of its harness you can extract. in the Snake thread, I detailed the connections. one connector is down on the right side of the transmission hump, the other over towards the instrument panel, and I think it has a wire to the fuse panel.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 AM

It's a wagon with a cable speedometer. I'm going to look for all wires related to the overdrive. I was actually wondering where the relay is in this car, so that will help.

Tomorrow I get to dig through snow to get the rest.

I was checking out the clutch specs. This car has an 8 1/2 inch friction disc on a flat flywheel. Later cars had a 9 inch disc on a stepped flywheel. I was reading a bit on turbobricks about them. Has anyone heard of a 9 inch clutch setup for a flat flywheel?

The car does have the A/C ****.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM
no mo volvo

the vadis parts list for the 1985 shows a overdrive wiring harness behind the dash, has a wire to the fuse block, a wire to the circular connector behind the instrument panel, the OD relay connector, and wires that go down the right side of the console towards the tranny with 3 total ends?

the greenbook 'locator' drawing shows the harness as having a 2x2 square connector (with yellow and blue wires) on the leg that goes to the instrument panel and fuse panel. And it shows the cables that go down the console, a thinner one from the OD relay connector just goes down to near the AC(?), ahhh, I bet its the ground wire. The fatter cable from the OD relay goes down to the side of the tranny hump near the right side of the center console and has two connectors, one 3-pin (black, yellow, red), and one 1-pin (blue)

there's a second harness at the transmission and shifter that connects the solenoid, gear indicator switch, and the OD pushbutton on the shifter, this plugs into the 3 and 1 pin connectors above (nothing that the 3 pin has a brown wire on the other side connected to the black wire mentioned above)

the relay looks to be shaped like a conventional relay, but the schematic shows it has some logic in it. it has horizontal pin 87 on top middle, vertical blades 31 and 85 on the left and right side, and H pin 86 in the center, and V blade 15 on the bottom middle (this as you're facing the connector end of this relay). ahhh, vadis says its a 'red' relay, and its PN 3523805. I believe i Listed the wire colors to it already, so I won't again.

I hope this isn't all A) too wordy and B) at least somewhat helpful.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM

I got it the OD relay harness (no relay unfortunately). It plugs into the other wires on the gear shift ****, has a ground and a splice-into-an-existing-plug connection under the instrument cluster.

I've attached pictures below. The gray connectors go under the gauge cluster. You can see the relay plug (blue). There's a ground coming off it. Then the plugs on the other end. They are one 3 contact plug and one single. They go to the shift lever (the magic OD button) and the other two go under the car to the transmission. One goes the the OD solenoid and the other goes the the 4th gear contact on the top of the gearbox. The other harness is the reverse light harness.

There was another harness on the car that connected to fuse 9, but it looked to be just the up shift idiot light control. I would have taken it, but has two wires that run back and disappear near the rear seats. I think it goes to the pickup on the rear diff for selecting shift points. The mech speedo has no way of out putting speed electronically so I think that's how they drive that. It also has two difficult phillips head screws in the steering column for ground that are really hard to loosen. The pedal carrier has some wires to the clutch pedal; I'm going to look at pulling.

Attached Thumbnails Pulling a drivetrain-dscf4646.jpg   Pulling a drivetrain-dscf4644.jpg