Put engine back into car, now it idles way to high

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Put engine back into car, now it idles way to high

So I did a bearing job on my 81 245 and got the engine back in the car and now trouble hath reared its ugly head. When I first fired her up I couldnt get her to idle for more than a few seconds, running rather rough I could feather the gas and keep it running long as I wanted, didnt need to give it much gas either, just enough to get it to above idle.

Father in law comes over to look at it for a second set of eyes. He sees that one little vacuum-ey looking hose that I believe is for the flame trap venting (the hose underneath the intake that just hooks over into nothing, its on the vacuum diagram as such). He plugged it and now it went from barely idling to now idling at really high rpm, earballing I would say bout 3000rpm or so, even after unplugging the hose.

Now if that was indeed the flame trap it shouldnt of had too much of an effect as I put the valve cover and flame trap setup from my '79 244 on there, so there should of been plenty of venting going on. Then I went searching for vacuum leaks, spraying starting fluid around, yet couldnt find anything. No intake leaks or injector seal leaks either (injector seals are new)

Two things of note:

Theres one wire that may solve all my problems, I cant find anywhere it hooks to and dont remember unhooking it so it may be superfulous. Its the double green wire in this pic:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/volvo...s/IMG_3419.JPG

the other is a wire I also dont remember doing anything with, its a eye connector by the cruise control, tis a lil bugger

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/volvo...s/IMG_3420.JPG

Anyone got any idears? Please?

Thanks

Shaun

Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Sorry for the late reply, got rear-ended by a dump truck on I-405 a couple weeks back, sorta put a damper on my car repairs

So I finally got something to happen. The little "switch" lookin thingy thats under the intake next to the firewall with the three prongs on it (kinda looks like it would have something to do with an electric choke). Theres a wire from the firewall that grounds out to a bolt next to it, it was kinda funky so I replaced the grounded end, well if I unhook that at the black connector the idle immediately gets cut in half. Plug it back in and it shoots back up.

If I unhook the wires of the three prong switchy thingy the idle varies a bit too. Playing with them provide a variety of idle speeds but the lowest I could earball it would be about 1500rpm, still loud. This give anyone an idear?

Side note if I unhook the ground I spoke of it has a REAL bugger of a time starting, have to floor it and work a bit to get her to even start, then it'll idle.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 AM

under the intake? Was is toward the back and hard to get to? Sounds like the coolant temp sensor for the ecu. It could have that effect. Do you get in diag. codes?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Eh, not that hard to get to. I'll try to snap a pic at seahawks halftime

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM

So 'eres the pic:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/volvo%20pics/sensor.JPG

The ground wire I speak of is the yellow one in the upper right corner. and the switchy thing is the guy with the two screws and two wires.

FYI I got a yellow wire hooked to the middle prong of the switch and a black wire to the back prong. there was no wire to the front prong when I unhooked everything.

Any idea wtf dat thing is?