replace or rebuild '94 B230F?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace or rebuild '94 B230F?

I had all the coolant go and blew a gasket, with serious overheating, the temp sensor is still reading "pinned" all the way past the red, so it's failed...combustion gasses are going into the coolant. No blue smoke...but it got hot.

I could put a lot of effort into pulling all the parts off of a block/head and find a lot more wrong, effort I could be putting into just replacing the engine.

I have a Regina non turbo sitting nose to nose, literally right now that runs fine.

Although any work done standing is 10x easier than anything done under the car on jack stands. I'm disabled in the spine, and 6'5" so... I'll be using rare friend's time, and my time, is about 1/4 of what a "healthy" person can do. And that's being kind.

I'm "hopefully guessing" the basic B230Fs were the same? and the Regina is just the peripherals???

I could scoop the heads only too, if the block is o.k., but then I'm looking at rings could be bad, etc. burning oil, all that jazz. I did put coolant in it, and a qt of oil, have it pur home like a kitten, literally, parked it, now it won't start, but it will "fountain" coolant out of the overflow tank, just from turning over.

I'm guessing when it was hot, everything was expanded, and let it run, it got cold, and god knows what it looks like now, per are the head and block flat, etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:38 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

its really hard to kill the lower end of these engines, 99% of the time overheats just fry the gasket and maybe warp the head a little. of course, whenever doing a valve cover gasket, the head should be skimmed and vacuum tested by a machine shop to ensure the valves are all good.

the engine block and head is identical between the regina and bosch system... you'd just need to swap the injectors, distributor, etc to install a Regina block into a Bosch car. probably easiest to just keep your intake manifold and bolt it up to the regina block, as the injectors stay on the manifold.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pierce
its really hard to kill the lower end of these engines, 99% of the time overheats just fry the gasket and maybe warp the head a little. of course, whenever doing a valve cover gasket, the head should be skimmed and vacuum tested by a machine shop to ensure the valves are all good.

the engine block and head is identical between the regina and bosch system... you'd just need to swap the injectors, distributor, etc to install a Regina block into a Bosch car. probably easiest to just keep your intake manifold and bolt it up to the regina block, as the injectors stay on the manifold.
Thanks Pierce!!! You da man. per usual.
The old block has an IPD cam, so I might want to keep it/and run the full Bosch system, not that hard for me to do that. Quick and dirty, get it on the road, yeah. I'd probably keep the manifold as you suggest. I just have this abiding hatred of all things Regina. I don't want it to "catch" anything...