Replacing AC Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing AC Condenser

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of replacing the AC condenser in my 1993 Volvo 940 turbo wagon. I ordered the new condenser and the new line that connects the condenser to the compressor. The new fittings confuse me. Nether the condenser nor the line have threads of any kind. Instead the line has a male sleeve that fits perfectly to the female sleeve in the condenser. But I don't see how it secures - no spring system that I can see. Then the other condenser line that goes to the firewall (that I hope to continue to use) has female threads that obviously will not fit with the female sleeve of the condenser. Any ideas what kind of adapters I need to make this all work? Thanks!

Old 06-15-2020, 10:33 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

If it is all OEM, what you are replacing and the new parts you have, they should fit... May be you can ask the seller, may be the part you received is wrong, it happens...

Old 06-16-2020, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has your A/C system been retrofitted to r-134, or is it still the r-12 set up? That may be where the confusion lies. A quick google search for the part number brought up some diagrams, but diagrams have almost never been helpful to me, so good luck with that. I'm assuming your motor is close to my 740, and with that in mind, I believe the A/C lines run from the compressor to the accumulator. More pictures of the fittings would be helpful, but it's starting to sound like you got the wrong part. The part number says it is for your car, which is why I'm somewhat confused as well, but I'm no expert. I looked on rockauto for a condenser, and A/C lines, and the lines sold on the website are threaded on each end. What website did you purchase from?

Old 06-16-2020, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few more pictures and information that I have learned over the past 24 hours and might be helpful to future readers. First, here is the new condenser ordered from FCP Euro - notice the two non-threaded female sleeves and a threaded receiver for what I now know to be a threaded retaining bolt.

I've learned that some cars have retaining blocks to secure these two fittings. I guess Volvo went that direction with their replacement condensers and AC lines. I found the Volvo retaining block on line. It's Volvo part 6841206. Here is a picture:

So one simply slides this block over the two AC lines against their lips, slide the lines into the two non-threaded sleeves on the condenser, and then the retaining bolt holds everything firm. The little o-ring prevents leaks I assume. But that block is sold out and discontinued all across the internet. Actually I found it available in Russia, but I've never ordered online parts from Russia before. I placed a few inquiries at salvage yards, but I'm not holding my breath since this system was not installed by the factory. So I'm going to try and make that block. I plan to drill two holes in a strip of 1/8 to 1/4 inch steel and then cut out one side to allow the lines to go in. I do not have a drill press so wish me luck.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:09 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Good job! That should do it. That 'block' might have been used in some markets, not in others. At this point such distinctions are becoming moot to the part sellers leaving us with challenging propositions. I've seen this kind of retaining devices in other cars but unfortunately don't remember exactly. Shouldn't be too hard to make though...

Old 06-16-2020, 10:41 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

pretty much all A/C systems, the plumbing goes from the compressor to the condenser to the drier/receiver, through the orifice and to the evaporator (behind the dashboard) and back to the compressor.

you compress the refrigerant, it gets warm, the condenser cools it back to ambient temps, the drier/receiver is mostly there to absorb any residual moisture in the coolant, then the orifice regulates the flow rate, and in the evaporator it expands again and gets COLD, then the expanded gas goes back to the compressor and the cycle starts over.