So....did my engine blow? Video included

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So....did my engine blow? Video included

I swear to god if this engine has rod knock im going to loose it.

I drove it home from sitting about two days in a parking lot. Gets home fine, now when i went to the grocery store it makes this knocking noise. It sounds like its coming from the power steering pump but i could be wrong.

These engine are not suppose to develope rod knock right? only 150,000 miles and religious oil changes.

Engine knock - YouTube

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM

i took off the power steering belt and had to cut off the Ac belt becuase its damn near impossible to get to the compressor bolts in the rear to adjust it. Good news is it was just the power steering pump, bad news is its the power steering pump.

Everywhere i look online i can find the pump but its without the pulley or reservoir. is it possible to find one with all the auxiliaries?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, definitely not a rod. Rod knock is loud and steady and increases with engine speed. Sounds like something is coming loose or breaking up. I'd suggest getting an automotive stethoscope or a piece of hose to pinpoint the trouble. Doesn't sound major, though...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw your second post. Congratulations on finding the problem so quickly; I imagine you're highly motivated.

It's probably possible to find what you want, but swapping your old parts onto the new one isn't usually that big a deal. Normally, all you need is a pulley puller that you can borrow from the parts store (with a deposit). The alternative is to go with a junkyard part, which will be complete and also cheaper. These pumps are generally pretty reliable. You can screw them up by overtightening the belt, which will ultimately cause them to leak or you can run them out of fluid, but, like I said, they're pretty reliable. Your chances of finding a good one in the junkyard are excellent. If your local yards are fresh out, try calling 800 700 8658; these guys ship all over the country. Good luck with it!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph/TX
Just saw your second post. Congratulations on finding the problem so quickly; I imagine you're highly motivated.

It's probably possible to find what you want, but swapping your old parts onto the new one isn't usually that big a deal. Normally, all you need is a pulley puller that you can borrow from the parts store (with a deposit). The alternative is to go with a junkyard part, which will be complete and also cheaper. These pumps are generally pretty reliable. You can screw them up by overtightening the belt, which will ultimately cause them to leak or you can run them out of fluid, but, like I said, they're pretty reliable. Your chances of finding a good one in the junkyard are excellent. If your local yards are fresh out, try calling 800 700 8658; these guys ship all over the country. Good luck with it!

Motivated.... more like i am a pizza delivery guy and a full time student :P I am a fairly strong guy and have just driven the car to the grocery store and back, its pretty difficult but manageable. Would i be doing great harm as to maybe wait a week, or two and the most to fix this because of my crazy schedule and finances?