timing on 940

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing on 940

I am having a dificult time setting the timing on my 1993 940 wagon. I have lined up all three gear sprockets and still nothing. Any ideas? Help?

Old 04-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: timing on 940

What is the problem is it not running?
Did the timing belt break or are you just replacing it?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 AM

It wont start. I am replacing the timming belt. I just bought this car ( 1993 940 wagon ) two weeks ago and it had a few problems. First was changing the timming belt, then was the water pump that I finally replaced succesfully. Then there is the exhaust manifold gasket that I thought would be easy but I was wrong. I took off the eight bolts that connect the manifold to the engine block and it just sits there. I was then told to either remove the flange bolts from the rest of the exhaust or the bolt from the bracket that holds the exhaust to the bell housing neither of which have been very successfull yet, I'll get it though. To get the manifold off I need more room to work under the car so I want to put it on some ramps. Thats where I am now, putting on the timming belt so I can drive it up on the ramps and thats been a nightmare too. I am not a mechanic by trade but I work on all my own cars and have never had this kind of dificulty on little problems so I am stumped. The thing is I have never owned a volvo before. I bought it because I heard nothing but good thing about how long they last and how easy they are to work on. Wow was I mistaken so far.

When I bought the car it ran fine, it just had the small exhaust leak so I drove it home without a problem. Since my last post I now beleive I have the timming right because it turns over very smoothly but just wont start. I have checked for spark with a spark plug out and that is strong. Next I guess is to see if it gets gas. I have tried to spray some starter fluid in the air cleaner but get nothing.

Will it start with the timming belt cover off and the alternator belt, power stearing, and water pump belt off because thats the way I am trying it now because I was not sure if I had the timing right? I would not run it that way for long just to see if it would start.

Thanks Gary

Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

OK First to make sure you have the timing correct.
The cam is set to the 12 o'clock position,The counter balance shaft is set to the 3 o'clock position,and the crank is set to the 12 o'clock position.
DO NOT USE THE CRANK OUTER PULLEY TO SET THE CRANK.Remove the outer crank pulley.Then there is a washer that locks onto the oustide of the crank timing gear the slit in the washer needs to be at 12 o'clock and match the line on the engine.The cam and the counter balance shaft have dots on the gear and lines on the plastic cover behind them that they need to line up with.

Make sure that is all correct. Then it should run.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:41 PM

I finally got it. It was the crankshaft that was 180 off. I had the inner notch on the bottom and the outer notch on the top. Thanks for the info. Now, all I need is advice on changing the exhaust manifold seal.

Thanks Gary

Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

If you undo the brachet that is mounted to the bellhousing on the trans that should give you enough room to slide it out.If not then loosen the 3 nuts between the manifold and the downpipe.It will give you a little more flex.Try that and let me know how it works.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:23 PM

Well. I took off the bolts that held the bracket to the bellhousing and it did not move. I then took off two of the three bolts hold the exhaust to the down pipe but the third one is a nightmare. I tried it removing it with a swivel and nine extentions. That got me on the bolt but I ended up snapping the swivel. There is no straight shot to this bolt. Im lost.
Thanks Gary

Old 04-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Yes it is kind of a pain in the Butt.The only other thing you can try is to follow the exhaust back a little more and try removing some of the hangers.That should help you get a little more movement out of it.

Also I just remembered make sure your car doesn't have EGR if it does you might have to remove the EGR pipe that bolts into the back of the manifold.Look at the back of the manifold and see if there is a pipe that goes into it.If so you will need to unscrew it and remove it.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:23 AM

You Are the Man. I did exactly what you said by following the exhaust back a ways and found one more bolt/bracket. I removed it and it practically fell off in my hand. I then replaced my exhaust gasket and the old boy purrs like a kitten. Man what a journey.

Like I said before, I consider myself fairly mechanical but this car kicked my butt.

What should I expect from a 1993 940 wagon with 177000 on it. Will it nickel and dime me or was that a good car for that year? Next will be a transmission fluid change followed with a regular oil, oil filter, spark plug, sparkplug wire, and air filter change. What kind of oil and oil filter do you prefer with Volvo's
Thanks Gary?

Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Overall those cars are great.You should be fine for atleast 100,000 miles with the exception of maintaince items.Check the engine mounts.Where the subframe goes under the oil pan there is a rubber stopper.If the oil pan is rubbing the stopper then the mounts are weak.If you have some clearance yet then you are good.
I always like to use Volvo filters.But I hear the MANN brand filter is as good as the Volvo filter.
You should run 10/30 or 10/40 oil.You can run either regular or synthetic.It is all up to you.