timing belt help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt help

i have a 91 940 turbo and my one pulley on the vey bottom in front of timing belt cover is rubbing and digging into timing belt cover how do i fix this?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo940v
i have a 91 940 turbo and my one pulley on the vey bottom in front of timing belt cover is rubbing and digging into timing belt cover how do i fix this?
Short answer: replace the pulley.

Longer answer: The inner part of the pulley has a layer of hard rubber that was bonded to the metal but has now separated. The rubber is supposed to reduce vibration. One of the symptoms is a squeal when you first start up in the morning, like a belt slipping. Another symptom is your timing marks moving around when you check the timing with a light. You are actually lucky; when mine went out the pulley moved outward instead of inward and threw all my belts off.

You will need to pull the radiator, remove the belts, fan, etc. The hardest part will be getting the damn nut loose that holds the pulley. If you're going to go to all this trouble - and you are - you might as well replace the timing belt while you're at it. Get out your Chilton's or Haynes and look up timing belt replacement. Good luck with it!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks do you know what the name of that pulley is? also is it a difficult install? and how do you remove pulley when the bolt spins with it

Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo940v
thanks do you know what the name of that pulley is? also is it a difficult install? and how do you remove pulley when the bolt spins with it
If you asked for a lower crankshaft pulley you'd most likely get what you want. I've also heard it called a vibration damper or a harmonic balancer. Budget about 90 bucks just for this part.

"Difficult" is a relative term. It is certainly do-able, in your driveway or under your favorite shade tree; people in this forum do it all the time and I guarantee that we are not all highly trained Volvo scientists with 50 years experience. In my last post I mentioned pulling the belts, fan, and radiator. If you're comfortable with doing that much, chances are good you can go all the way. Like I said, find yourself a Chiltons or Haynes at your local used book store or auto parts store and read the procedure for doing a timing belt; it might help you decide. As the saying goes, "What one man can do, another can do.."

Removing the pulley nut can be somewhat of a PITA, especially if it's been on there awhile. IPD actually makes a tool to solve this problem; trouble is, it costs about 50 bucks. If your car is a standard you could put it in gear. I have an air compressor in my shop, so I just used an impact wrench and it came off no problem.