tire choices and sizes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire choices and sizes

I am in need of new tires but I am debating weather I should go with the original tire size of 185/65r15 or go with a wider tire like a 195 or 205. I am also debating weather I should go with an economical but name brand tire like a Nexen or Cooper, middle of the road BF Goodrich or Bridgestone, or go all out and get Michelins. If anyone has any suggestions please share them.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brickrunner... what do you use the car for?

Often times people are looking for a wider tire just for the look. If that's the case, then there's no stopping.

If you're looking for more grip, you could go that route as well, but this will all be at the expense of weight, and therefore, fuel efficiency.

As for "name brand" vs. "economy"... same sort of principle applies. If you're looking for grip, you'll have to go name brand, because economy tire companies don't typically offer a performance line, but if you're just cruising around... sometimes the cheaper tires are even more durable.

The thing with tires is, you can ask 100 people what they think of tire A, and what they think of tire B. Everyone gets flats, and if those 100 people happened to flat out on tire A rather than B, they'll sway you to that brand as though it's "better". Really, there was just some crap in the road, and they got unlucky.

If you go econo... someplace like Walmart is worth checking out, iirc, they had a pretty good coverage policy on flatted out tires.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EivlEvo
brickrunner... what do you use the car for?

Often times people are looking for a wider tire just for the look. If that's the case, then there's no stopping.

If you're looking for more grip, you could go that route as well, but this will all be at the expense of weight, and therefore, fuel efficiency.

As for "name brand" vs. "economy"... same sort of principle applies. If you're looking for grip, you'll have to go name brand, because economy tire companies don't typically offer a performance line, but if you're just cruising around... sometimes the cheaper tires are even more durable.

If you go econo... someplace like Walmart is worth checking out, iirc, they had a pretty good coverage policy on flatted out tires.
Actually most of this is incorrect in my opinion. Name brand mean precious little these days. Some years ago, the federal government insisted tire manufacturers place treadwear ratings, speed ratings and load ratings right on the side of the tires. Go to tirerack.com and search the size you like. Then check the ratings as well as the reviews. Often cheaper tires perform better than much higher priced tires. Where you live will dictate your decision as well. Here in Texas, wear means nothing to me as the sidewalls weather check and weaken long before the tread wears out. Here's a good size calculator site...205/6015's are great on 240's and 7/9's.
Tire size calculator

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

no tires I've owned for *YEARS* have been as good a combination of great ride, quiet, excellent wet traction, and long ride as the Michelin MXV4 "Primacy". note, I hated the MXV4 "Energy" (noisy, harsh).

I suggest sticking with the stock sizes. If you want more traction, go to the factory 16" wheels, the Hydras, and use the stock size on them, 205/55-16. These only slightly harsh the ride on rough roads, and have better sidewall stiffness, for better road feel when pushing things.

Last edited by pierce; 09-13-2012 at 10:48 PM.