Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

During the summer I travel on some atrocious roads (bad pavement, and even worse un-pavement) to get to work. Don't need 4x4, but they will pound a car to pieces. Until recently I had a 2wd Toyota pickup that unfortunately died after meeting another vehicle that didn't understand there are still sides on a dirt road even though there are no lines (not only required a new car, but added inspiration for getting a Volvo).

This road is a tire killer, it destroyed a set of quality street tires in the first 6 months I drove the road to work. I replaced them with a set of General Grabber AT2s, an All Terrain type which survived 2 summers and easily would have made it a 3rd, maybe even a 4th season on these roads. I've already got my eye on a 1980 245 with 3 different exterior colors. I've already got my eye on a 1980 245 with 3 different exterior colors.

Anyway, the tires fit on the 14" rims of my Toyota. I'm not going to subject my current 240 to these roads because it is in pretty good condition cosmetically and would be a waste of a sound car.
I am contemplating perhaps picking up a mechanically sound but cosmetically distressed wagon as my summer get to work (beater) car. I'm not too worried about the car holding up on these roads, as from what I've seen so far these are tough cars. If the truck could take it, I'm sure the car can.

[SKIP to here to get to the point]

I am wondering if I could fit these tires onto a 240 or 740 wagon.

General Grabber AT2 27x8.5R14LT
Diameter 26.5" Section width 8.6" (on a 7.0" rim), approved rim widths 6.0-7.5.

I understand the stock rims are 14x5.5" so this would probably require a rim swap. I understand the basics of tires, but not sure if this would be a reasonable thing to do. If the tires could be made to fit, I think a 240 or 740 wagon would make a great rig for getting to and from work, and provide a nice off the beaten path camp rig as well.

Thanks

Last edited by AT5 240GL; 10-19-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Those tires sound kind of big. Since you have a 240 and these tires, even though they are on the Toyota rims you may want to jack up the 240 and place this tire in the wheel well and get an idea. The other way to go would be to just see if you can buy some General Grabber tires in the size to fit the 240. Then you won't have to spend money on rims and the speedometer will be correct.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 PM

I don't have the tires anymore, they went with the truck. They are the only All Terrain type tires I've seen for a smaller rim (most are 15"+), and were apparently specifically targeting 2wd compact pickups.

It looks like 185/80/14 or 195/70/14 is standard on a wagon, which would make these tires about 1" taller and wider than the stock tire. I'm just not sure how much wiggle room the wagons have for tire sizing. I was hoping someone might have some real world experience running a slightly larger than stock tire. The size is close enough tat I could convince myself they would fit, only to find out they have issues.

The speedo isn't too much of an issue, about 3mph at 60. With high mileage Volvos adding a few extra miles isn't something I'd worry about, particularly since it seems like most have busted odometers anyway.

I've got experience with the work trucks that are running name brand all terrain and mud terrain tires and they get shredded on these roads so these particular tires on a light vehicle impressed me with their durability.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Later RWD Volvos have 15" wheels and even 16". The ABS equipped models don't fit 14" wheels on the front.

Sounds like you drive some pretty rough trails--for all their supposed toughness, Volvos are still light, unibody cars. Better get a pick up with a body on frame construction, rough roads are what they made for.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

of course, the 15 and 16" wheels use lower profile tires, even less offroad worthy. I think I'm running 205/55-16 on my 740 wagon.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Yeah, a small truck is probably the most appropriate, that is what I had been using the past 3 years and even it had some issues. Due to vibration from the washboard and pot holes I lost an oil cap, nearly lost the hood latch and even had the battery come loose at one point. Checking it for loose bits was a constant duty.

Unfortunately everybody but the insurance company seems to thing Toyota and Nissan pickups are worth their weight in gold, and I can't really blame them. Mine was nearly at 300,000 mostly trouble free miles when it met its end.

I wouldn't normally consider a car, but I've seen quite a few Volvo wagons under $2000 that seemed like potential candidates which is what got me thinking, they did Rally these things... sometimes thinking is a dangerous thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM
no mo volvo

I've taken my 240 and 740s all over all kinda funky dirt roads. even with the regular grand touring tires I use, they tend to have quite decent traction.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM

I'm kinda with you on your thinking that when you have a $2k budget, the roadworthy trucks are out of reach but plenty of older Volvo are available with some money to spend on tires. If you get a 240 you might want to add a battery hold down with threaded rod and a piece of something substantial across the top of the battery. I was thinking that something like a Jeep Cherokee XJ would be good but under $2k, they need lots of work. A Volvo might do.

185 tires have got to fit with no problem. The are only slightly larger than stock.

If you get this car, you should get some pictures of it on your roads.

I while back when I belonged to a sports car club there was a bunch of guys with Volvos that were using rally springs with a couple of extra inches of suspension travel. If these are available they would sure help. But now we are spending more money.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Yeah, its more of a whatever I drive on this road will get thrashed, so I don't want to start with something too nice. Many of my options are either more expensive, or will need lots of work to be reliable. Right now in my area it doesn't seem to be that hard to find a mechanically sound, or at least easily made mechanically sound Volvo cheap.

Every February we get a split window VW bus club who take a mostly off road journey from Clear Lake to Lake Shasta through the area I work.

This road isn't actually the road I drive to work, but it is in the area and is similar, although it has a cooler view. The rocky road bed is what eats the tires. 200 miles a week of this stuff is tough on a vehicle.

It's pretty neat when these guys come through, they usually have a convoy of 2 or 3 dozen classic VW vans and pickups set up for some rough travel. Since I guess this isn't enough of a challenge when it is dry, they come through in the winter.

This is one of the better roads

These guys have a ton of videos, just enter Shasta Snow Trip and you will find a bunch. It will give you a real appreciation for how rugged these old VWs are.

Last edited by AT5 240GL; 10-21-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:13 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

For $1-1,500 you can get a Jeep Cherokee. That would be my choice. As much as I love Volvos, you'll destroy any sedan type car in no time, and that includes any Volvo. For the money you can buy more Jeep than a Volvo, and let's face it, that's what Jeeps are made for.

Second choice would be an older domestic truck, may be late '80's, early '90's--that will do the job for you... A lot of these things out there especially if you are not concerned about looks much.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM
no mo volvo

my brother had a late 80s Bronco, that thing was an electrical nightmare.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 PM
no mo volvo

ooooh. BF Goodrich T/A All Terrain KO comes in LT195/75-14 !!

thats just slightly oversized for a 240, I'd think it would fit. those are killer good offroad tires, my son runs them on his Vanagon camper.. lets see, specced for 5-6" wide 14" rims, OD of 25.5" and section width of 7.7" on a 5.5" wide rim.

thats the STOCK size for a 240 wagon and perfectly doable on a sedan. Only downside on the KO's is they are kind of expensive.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 PM

Not really impressed with Jeeps based on the experience of others, but if I found the right deal, a Cherokee would work. Explorer, 4Runner etc same thing, just a matter of finding one that is used but not completely trashed.

I'm really not into the 10-15 mpg thing and most of the larger domestic vehicles are V-8s. I know they made them with smaller motors, but they are much less common. I've actually had my eye out for a decent F-150 with an I-6 (Ford quit making them in the late 90s).

I thought a 240 might be able to take the punishment, and at the moment they are plentiful in the cheap but sound category. Anyway something for me to ponder.

Pierce thanks for pointing out those tires, I've seen very few smaller AT type tires, good to know they are out there.