Transmission filter change question after kickdown cable replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission filter change question after kickdown cable replaced

Hi guys, I'm beating through the forums for some indication to an answer for my question but havent found anything as of yet. Ill keep looking but thought I'd at least ask the question.
I have pulled the pan to replace the broken kickdown cable and after all the horror stories I've read here I thought I'd also post my experience inline with my question.
I live in the Seattle area and my 89 is a total Seattle car. Minor to no rust. I blasted the fill tube nut on the tranny pan along with the tube holder nuts just in case. I came back a day later and got ready to spend a few cuss words but when I turned the nut it came loose easi-peasi. Got it and the pan off in less than 10 minutes. Hadnt order parts yet thinking it would be a pain.
I got the parts in and did the bypass for the OD solenoid and put it in place in 10-15 minutes. Again easi-peasi.
Dropped the new cable down from the engine compartment with the plastic sleeve still on it to be ready to shift to the new one. It looked to me like at full throttle a small piece of wood below the cam would hold it in place to remove the old cable and insert the new.
I piddled around with it for a while and got a piece of baling wire to insert into the hole in the cam and slipped out the old cable tossed it and with a little finese I placed the new cable.
Now comes the problem, I had ordered a new pan gasket with a filter and was iffy on replacement of the filter but since I had it I decided I'd do it anyway. Wish I hadn't now.
Got all the bolts out of the filter cept one, which was blocked by a metal tubing about a 1/4" running along another tubing about 3/8".
I kinda tried pushing it out of the way but no happy so I pulled it down and to the side and the front of the tube came out of the front of the tranny somewhere. I hope I can get up there and see where the tube goes and just push it back into place.
Then I pulled the filter and realized there was a spacer about maybe 3/4" thick that the filter sat on.
The gasket kit had only the one filter gasket and obviously I need two. Question is why would the kit only have one filter gasket and not two, since disassembly would damage the two.
Anyone run into the situation with their work under the car?
Thanks
Hideo

Old 03-03-2020, 05:03 PM
lev
Received 135 Likes on 125 Posts

I would reuse the old spacer, not included in the kit--should be OK...

Old 03-04-2020, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do plan on reusing the spacer but my issue was that the pan/filter/gasket kit from IPD only had one gasket for the filter. When I removed the filter the spacer came out also and with gaskets on both sides, filter and tranny. One came away torn and since I only had one replacement gasket I did not want to reuse an old gasket, especially if there were some problem with the shifting after reassembly of the pan. I dont like the thought of loosing a ton of tranny fluid and all the work involved redoing the work.
I was just wondering out loud if others that had replaced filter ran into the spacer issue and if they reused old gaskets to put it back together. Heck I have an uncanny ability to find unique situations I have found . ;^}
I did find a Meistersatz Transmission Filter Kit 271693 out of carpartsdiscount.com which shows in it's idsplay picture, two filter gaskets.
Oh well onward and upward. I just want to get my girl back online or uh on the road!
Thanks for the reply guys.